• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Super Bowl or Super No?

Super Bowl or Super No?

Victorianna Beels, Business Manager

As fall begins, one of the biggest American sports begins with it, football. Along with this incredible sport is the most watched event on television, the Super Bowl.
In 2016, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began to stand for what he believes in. During the national anthem in the preseason games, Kaepernick began to sit, and then later kneel as a way to protest. This protest was a part of the Black Lives Matter movement. Kaepernick began to stand up for the African Americans throughout America who are being suppressed and are facing police brutality. Since Kaepernick began kneeling for the anthem in 2016, by September 24, 2017, more than 200 NFL players were joining to support Kaepernick and his protest. In 2017,

Marcio Jose Sanchez

Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the 49ers. Following this controversy, Kaepernick is the most recent face of Nike, preaching to always stand up for what you believe in, even if it means sacrificing everything. In May 2018, the NFL proposed a new policy for the upcoming season, requiring players and personnel to stand during the national anthem. As a result of not following the new policy, teams could face a 15 yard penalty and/or fines.
With the 2018 season currently ongoing, the NFL is already thinking about the halftime show and advertising for Super Bowl 53 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. With pre-plans of the Super Bowl already in the works, they have also been trying to find the right celebrities to fill the important places, and it would appear that they are having a hard time doing so.
According to Rolling Stone, Rihanna was offered a chance to perform during the halftime show but declined the offer as a supporter of Colin Kaepernick. Entertainment Tonight reports that Pink turned down an offer to perform as well. Both Rihanna and Pink do not agree with the NFL’s stance on the issue, and they fully support Kaepernick and his position in the discussion. The musicians are not the only ones protesting the NFL’s position either. Actress and comedian Amy Schumer recently posted that she would turn down any Super Bowl advertising offers in support of Kaepernick. Schumer states, “I personally told my reps I wouldn’t do a Super Bowl commercial this year.” An LCN student, Mallory Allard, ‘19 states, “I believe this is a good thing because they are standing up for their rights and what they believe in.”
With all of the issues the NFL was having booking a performance for the 2019 halftime show; they finally booked Maroon 5 to perform. If you are interested in viewing Super Bowl LIII, the game is scheduled to be played on February 3, 2019 and you can tune in to CBS.

About the Writer
Victorianna Beels, Business Manager

Name: Victorianna Beels

Grade: 11

Position on staff: Business Manager

Fun fact about me: I have an interest in the history of World War II

Sports/Hobbies:...