• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Are The New iPhones Worth It?

Are The New iPhones Worth It?

Kevin Vallone

Kevin Vallone

Kevin Vallone

Tori Beels, Business Manager

At Apple’s annual fall event on September 11th, 2018, three new iPhones were announced. The iPhone XS and XS Max were released on September 21st, 2018 and the iPhone XR on October 26th, 2018. Upon the arrival of these new, hyped up devices, the most important question lingers, are the new iPhones worth it?

It is always best to start with the basics; the price. When released, the iPhone XR was priced at $749, the iPhone XS was priced at $999, and the iPhone XS Max was priced at $1099. Since the iPhone X was released in late 2017 starting at $1000, iPhones have been some of the most expensive phones on the market. Samsung recently unveiled the new Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+, both of which are significantly cheaper than the new iPhones. The Galaxy S9 begins at $719.99 and the Galaxy S9+ begins at $839.99. The iPhone and Galaxy S9 compete quite well, with the Galaxy coming out victorious in most aspects. Olivia Malburg, ‘20 states, “I prefer Android over Apple because they are easier to use.”

Although the Galaxy appears to be better for the price, the iPhone has very appealing qualities. Apple highlights the larger screen size of all three of the new phones, the OLED display of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, the Advanced Face ID, Apple’s new Intelligent A12 Bionic chip, and many more things that most people who make the investment would benefit from and love from these new phones.

Another addition to the iPhone and Apple brand that is appreciated is how interconnected all Apple products have become. Apple’s iMessage, FaceTime, and AirDrop features are an amazing quality that android companies like Samsung, LG, and Google have not developed straight into their phones yet. You can download applications and even change the look of your android phone to appear as close to an iPhone as possible, but will obviously never be the same.

In the end, are the three new iPhones worth it? Jessica Tauriainen, ‘19 believes, “The new iPhones are the same thing as the old ones, just over complicated.” Looking at the new features and the prices of the XS and the XS Max, I would have to say that they are not worth it; however, looking at the features and price of the XR, I believe that the XR would be an investment to make. The price is reasonable for a top of the line phone, it is an upgrade from the iPhone X, and it comes with more color options than the XS and XS Max. If you are still looking for the slightly higher quality of the XS and the XS Max, I would suggest going for some change and switching to the new Samsung Galaxy S9 or the S9+. Both of these Samsungs are comparable to the XS and XS Max for a much more reasonable price.

Kevin Vallone