• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Does Black Friday Ruin The Meaning Of Thanksgiving?

Nayely Espinoza-Perez, Opinions Editor

The Thanksgiving holiday is approaching. With this holiday being just around the corner, we can already picture the delicious stuffed turkey on the table, the irresistible pumpkin pie, and most of all spending quality time with family. After all, isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about? Apparently not.

The unofficial Black Friday “holiday” has seemed to overshadow the true significant meaning of Thanksgiving. Profit-driven companies have put on Black Friday sales- that are to spare you the time pulling money out of your pocket- to enhance your willingness to go store by store shopping for Christmas. Indeed, the essence of thankfulness and togetherness has faded within the madness of the “holiday”.

With the unofficial holiday being a gateway to the Christmas season, Black Friday is the busiest shopping day of the year. In fact, some stores open early for their Black Friday sales which stretch into the hours of Thanksgiving dinner. Stores like Walmart, Best Buy, Kohl’s, Target, Dicks Sporting Goods, and Ulta open their doors at 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m., which is early considering its Thanksgiving. With deals going on, people take the opportunity to check off as many things on their “wants list”. Without a doubt, it would be an understatement to say that leaving the table on Thanksgiving Day is absolutely okay.

Thanksgiving is a day to spend precious time with family; it is a time to enjoy the company of the people we love. It’s kind of doltish to excuse yourself from the Thanksgiving dinner just to go on a shopping spree. I mean, how ironic is that the American Thanksgiving tradition is to take some time and be thankful for the things you have and the people that are in your life- while most thrive to see the time on the clock to know how soon their favorite stores will open. Oh, the irony.

It is your choice to decide how you want to spend the Thanksgiving holiday; however, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to ask yourself if the Black Friday savings (which honestly aren’t that much better than regular sales) are worth giving up family time at the dinner table.

Nayely Espinoza-Perez

About the Writer
Nayely Espinoza-Perez, Opinions Editor

Name: Nayely Espinoza-Perez

Grade: 11

Position on staff: Opinions editor

Fun fact about me: My passion for writing is immense; however, I hope...