• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Things to do over Thanksgiving Break (besides eating)

Make your Thanksgiving Break Worth While

Nayely Espinosa-Perez, Opinions Editor

To hear that Thanksgiving break is almost here is possibly the best thing any high schooler can hear in the autumn season. Even though the Thanksgiving break is 5 days-which includes the weekend (November 21- 25), there are many things high schoolers can do to enjoy their break. Here are 17 things you can do to make your Thanksgiving break delightful!

Volunteer for the less fortunate: What’s better than to give back on Thanksgiving Day? Consider volunteering at a local soup kitchen. Volunteering for events that help the less fortunate is a great way to get those community service hours in, and it is a great way for you to understand the true fundamental meaning of the Thanksgiving holiday. Volunteering for a good cause during your Thanksgiving break is definitely a way to capture the essence of the enjoyable holiday. Not to mention that seeing a smile on someone’s face is so rewarding.

Host a Board Game Night: Planning a day to play board games with family and friends is a great way to spend time together. Charades, Monopoly, Cards Against Humanity, Scattergories, The Game of Life, and Mall Madness are some popular board games many people love to play. If you have a competitive family, playing board games can add a more enthusiastic feel to the atmosphere.

Ice skating: Even though the Christmas season isn’t here yet, you should totally consider going Ice Skating. Going out with friends and watching each other fall can give you a good laugh (not that you shouldn’t be careful). Plus, this is a good opportunity to get some practice for the winter season!

Relax: R-e-l-a-x. I know, having a break from school definitely gets you in the mood to go out and finally take a breath of fresh air. This doesn’t always mean that you have to be doing something every day. Take a break, relax your mind, and pamper yourself! You have to remember that taking a break from so much chaos, especially since the Thanksgiving holiday is where many people are all around, is a way you can reduce stress, catch up on sleep, and it can even boost your mood.

Watch movies: Yes, you read that right. Spend a day watching any movies or shows you like. Whether it is a movie you watch at home or at the movie theaters make sure you make the best of it! Not to mention, binge-watching those new trending series of a show that everyone is talking about sounds pretty good. So, get your popcorn, blankets, and hot beverages ready to enjoy a fun movie/show night.

Baking: It would be an understatement to say that baking was a part of Thanksgiving break. Baking your favorite sweets is seriously one of the best things you can do. Imagine the lingering smell of delicious fresh baked goods. Pretty indulging right? And the best part is that it brings people together.

Look at Old Family Photos: Looking through old, funny photos is something meaningful and special to do with family and friends. I mean, who doesn’t need a good laugh or a reminder of how important togetherness is. An afternoon with some hot chocolate is, without a doubt, sure to leave you feeling nostalgic.

Watch Football: Oh boy. Watching Football is a must. Don’t even think about questioning it.

The Turkey Trot Race: The Turkey Trot Race has been a family tradition in downtown Detroit for the longest time. It is held on Thanksgiving Day and has a race of 10k, 5k, and a one mile running opportunities. What a great way to lose some calories from all the food you have eaten.

Decorate: Believe it or not, people take the time to start decorating for the Christmas season a bit early. Whether it’s putting up Christmas lights or even putting up the Christmas tree, there is nothing wrong with getting into the holiday spirit.

Make gifts for the homeless: Making DIY gifts for the homeless is a great way to spread the blessings for the holiday! Making goodie bags that contain necessities such as, deodorants, toothbrushes, toothpaste, personal hygiene products, food, and first-aid items, are useful things to add to your goodie bags. Doing a good deed can definitely make you feel good about yourself, and it can make others feel good too. In addition, making DIY gifts for your friends and family is also a great way to show how much you appreciate them. Making thankful jars is a way you can how grateful you are for that person. Simply get a jar, write thankful messages, and put it in the jar!

Take your soulmate on a date: To all the lovebirds- not that you need a reminder (you guys already seem to be with each other 24/7), take your significant other on a date. Going to a corn maze or haunted house is an excuse to jump into your lover’s arms. You’re welcome boys. In fact, just carving a pumpkin together, baking, or cuddling up while watching a movie can go a long way.

Thanksgiving Parade in Detroit: Attending the annual Thanksgiving parade in Detroit is sure to get you into the holiday spirit. This will sure be a fun experience. On Thanksgiving, the parade will start at 6:00 and runs until 9:30 a.m.

Catch up With Extended Family Members: Take the time to bond with family members that you haven’t seen in a while. Catch up on what’s been going on and share some fun memories. Go out, get some lunch and enjoy yourselves!

Blueprint Black Friday Plans: Yes, the second “holiday” of the November month- Black Friday- clearly catches numerous people’s attention. Get your smartphones ready and start looking at deals and store openings. Get. Your. Game. On.

Curl Up With A Good Book: Reading. I know, i know. It doesn’t sound much exciting; however, reading doesn’t mean you have to read a book. Feel free to read anything you enjoy. Articles, short stories, and magazines are just a few options on what you can read. If you like sports, read about your favorite sports team. If you like newsworthy topics, read in the news section on a newspaper. Reading is a great way you can escape reality and join a new one. It may not sound like a top choice to most, but on the bright side, it’ll improve your reading skills. A limit in knowledge does not exist.

Go To A Cider Mill: Apple cider. Pumpkins. Donuts. What doesn’t sound good about this? Take a trip to your local Cider Mill and enjoy the orange, yellowish colors of leaves while drinking the most iconic fall drink of all time- apple cider. Yates Cider Mill located in Rochester Hills, Middleton Cider Mill located in Shelby Charter Township, and Blake’s Orchard located in Armada, are just a few popular places people enjoy visiting.