• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

We Are the Champions

Bohemian Rhapsody is the movie of the year

Victoria Myers, News Editor

Bohemian Rhapsody, a biographical movie depicting the tumultuous life of Queen front man Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek) and was released on November 2, 2018. Bohemian Rhapsody was named after Queen’s hit song.
The movie opens with Mercury preparing for the iconic Live Aid performance with Queen. The movie truly begins when it details Mercury’s life before Queen. The movie follows Mercury’s journey to joining Queen- which was originally called Smile, before his joining. The movie covers the songwriting and recording process of many of Queen’s hit songs, giving the fans insight that they had never seen before. While the movie does focus heavily on the music of Queen and their creative process, it also explores the personal life of Mercury. It gives a look into his relationship with Mary Austin (Lucy Boynton), who he commonly called the “love of his life.” The movie also covers Mercury’s struggle with his sexuality, as well as his relationship with Paul Prenter (Allen Leech). Queen’s issues leading up to the Live Aid performance are depicted: their journey to becoming cohesive again after a few years off, and Mercury’s struggles with his voice in the rehearsals. The movie closes with songs from the iconic Live Aid performance which was one of Mercury’s final performances-his performance career ended in 1986 a year after Live Aid.
The costume designers did a phenomenal job at making the actors look like the characters they were portraying. Brian May and Roger Taylor also got the final say in the cast and costuming. To get into the character of Freddie Mercury, Rami Malek worked with a movement coach, and it shows; the movements made by Malek throughout the movie stay very true to movements that were originally done by Mercury. Mercury’s iconic outfits were very well displayed throughout the movie as well, making the experience seem as though it was not a movie, but as if it was being experienced live.
The performances by all actors involved were astounding. All seemed very well researched and rehearsed. Malek’s performance as Mercury was Oscar-worthy to say the least and frankly made the movie just as much as the musical content itself. The directors did not shy away from controversial topics such as Mercury’s sexuality, and his battle with aids. Nothing is shied away from in this movie, which was what made it great and what makes it so worthy of an Oscar. This movie is by far one of the best movies of the year without question.