• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Former Tigers in World Series

Victoria Myers, News Editor

October was quiet in Detroit in regards to Tigers baseball due to their third place finish in the American League Central, but four former Tigers were able to make it to The World Series.
One of the most notable Tiger in the series was JD Martinez. Martinez had one of the best hitting percentages on the Tigers, his batting average for 2017 was .305- any average over .300 is considered to be great- with 16 home runs in the first half of the season. On July 18 however, Martinez was traded by the Tigers to the Arizona Diamondbacks, leaving behind a batting average of .300 and 99 home runs with the Tigers from 2014 to the first half of 2017. Though his time with the Diamondbacks was short, he posted a batting average of .302 with 29 home runs. On February 26, 2018, the Boston Red Sox signed Martinez to a five-year 110 million dollars. Martinez had a noteworthy 2018 season boosting a batting average of .330 with 43 home runs and 130 runs batted in. He was also selected for the American League All Star team which was his second selection. Martinez received a few accolades this year including two Silver Slugger awards (one as a designated hitter and one as an outfielder). Martinez also received the Hank Aaron Award which is given to the top hitter in each league.
Ian Kinsler was also a part of the 2018 Red Sox and was traded by the Los Angeles Angels on July 30. Kinsler was traded to the Angels on December 13, 2017 after playing for the Tigers for 4 seasons. When Kinsler arrived to the Tigers, he had already been a three-time All Star and a two-time member of the 30-30 club. His success continued with the Tigers when he posted a batting average of .275 and hit 17 home runs. He was also able to play in his fourth All-Star game as well, as a replacement for teammate Victor Martinez. Through his tenure in Detroit Kinsler received his first Gold Glove for his defensive play at second base and also received the Fielding Bible Award which he was awarded for being the best second baseman defensively in the MLB. In 2018, Kinsler’s bat was quiet compared to years previous. His combined batting average during his time with the Red Sox and the Angels this season was .240 with 14 home runs. While his batting average was lower compared to previous years, Kinsler’s defensive skills still remained. At the end of the 2018 season Kinsler received his second Gold Glove Award.
Veteran pitcher, David Price signed a 7-year contract worth $217 million with the Red Sox in December of 2015. Earlier that season, he had been traded to the Toronto Blue Jays by the Tigers, who received Matthew Boyd, Jairo Labourt, and Daniel Norris in the trade. The Tigers received Price on July 31, 2014 as a part of a three team trade, in his debut with the Tigers he pitched eight and two thirds innings and struck out 10. Price’s pitching helped Detroit earn its fourth consecutive AL Central division title, in the final game of the regular season he pitched seven and one third shutout innings against the Minnesota Twins which lead to a 3-0 win for the Tigers. Price was named starter for Opening Day in 2015 which lead to the end of Justin Verlander’s 7-year streak of starting on opening day. This start Price threw eighth and two thirds shutout innings leading the Tigers to a 4-0 win over the Twins. Price’s 2018 season held his return to the Boston starting rotation, throughout the regular season price made 30 starts and came away with a record of 16-7 and had 177 strikeouts in 176 innings of work. Price’s postseason got off to a rough start when he was only in for one and one third innings against the Yankees. Price did bounce back however, he was able to lead the Red Sox to victory when they beat the Astros to earn a trip to the World Series. Throughout the World Series, price was the starting pitcher twice, Boston won both of those games.
Rick Porcello who was a first round pick of the Tigers in 2007 and received the second-highest signing bonus in history of $3.5 million. Porcello started his first game with the Tigers on April 9, 2009 against the Toronto Blue Jays. His first career win came ten days later when he faced the Seattle Mariners and retired the last 14 batters he was against. Porcello held a record of 14-9 and an ERA of 3.96 at the end of his rookie season with the Tigers. Through his six years of play in Detroit Porcello had a record of 76-63 and an ERA of 4.30. On December 11, 2014, Porcello was traded to the Red Sox for Yoenis Céspedes, Alex Wilson, and Gabe Speier. On April 6, 2015 Porcello signed a 4-year contract worth $82.5 million. Porcello’s first season with the Red Sox was one of his worst statistically, with being only 9-15 and having an ERA of 4.92. In 2016, Porcello rebounded in a big way winning his first Cy Young award. The following season Porcello once again had a disappointing season with a career-high 17 losses and an ERA OF 4.65. Porcello was able to bounce back in the 2018 season, earning 17 wins and seven losses brandishing an ERA of 4.28.
Though it can be difficult for Detroit Tigers fans during baseball’s postseason, there are many former Tigers doing great things and four of them won a World Series this year.

About the Writer
Victoria Myers, News Editor

My name is Victoria (Tori) Myers. I am the News Editor of The North Star this school year. I also am on staff as a photographer. This is my second year...