• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

New Staff at LCN

Erin Koscielski, Photo Editor

This year the LCN community welcomed five new staff members. Mrs. Springsteen, the new photo teacher,  Mr. Ballee, the new Athletic Director, Mrs. Utrup, the counseling office secretary, Mrs. O’Connell, a new science teacher, and Mr. Pardi, Mr. Kiner’s long term substitute. To get to know them better, they were both asked to answer a series of personal questions.

Mrs. Springsteen

Q: What was your job before coming to LCN?        

A: “Well I taught art both at a high school and college level. I was an art Professor at the College for Creative Studies, where I taught Photo…”

Q: Why were you interested in joining the LCN community?

A: “Well it was a very unique opportunity to find, I am K-12 certified so I can be teaching any grade and any subject in art and under that umbrella… but to find all photography or mostly photography in one place is pretty rare…”

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: “Well professionally when I have time I shoot weddings… I freelance for the Detroit News and the Free Press… I just like to get out of the house”

Q: What is something that LCN students would be surprised to hear about you?

A: “When I retire I have a secret dream to move to the eastern coast of Spain…”

As a side note, Mrs. Springsteen has said that one of her best achievements is her son Jackson. Jackson wants to go into the music industry to design album art.

Mr. Ballee

A: “I was previously the AD at South Lake Schools…”

A: “I believe it was a better career move… and better relationships with teachers and students…”

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: “I’m very sports oriented I enjoy golf and playing sports with my children… ‘

A: “I cannot ice skate with this being a big hockey school…”

Mrs. Utrup

A: “… I worked at Graham Elementary in the district as a special education paraprofessional. I’d only begun this year, so I only had a few weeks in there before I learned about this position…”

A:  “…  I had heard from friends that it was a really nice place to work… I used to work at Adrian College so coming to the high school setting reminded me of that same college feeling, and I really enjoy being around a large group of students. When I heard about this position, I thought it might have that similar feeling.”

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: “Outside of school I think my number one job is being a mom. I really enjoy taking care of my two young children… I enjoy spending time with my kids. Baking is a strong hobby of mine and being outdoors or anything physical…”

A: “I grew up in a very small country farm community. I graduated with 27 high school seniors. The school was so small we didn’t even have a football team…”

Mrs. O’Connell

A: “For the past four years, I have been a teacher at Capac Jr./Sr. High School where I taught Chemistry, AP Chemistry, Forensics, Anatomy, Robotics and SAT Prep. Prior to that, I was a teacher for 8 years at East Detroit High School where I taught Biology, Anatomy, Chemistry, and Conceptual Physics.”

A: “I have always heard very positive things about this district as I graduated from nearby Chippewa Valley Schools, and my children are currently in the Chippewa District as well. The district has always received positive reviews regarding their staff, academics and athletics. When they posted for this position, I felt that it was written specifically for me, and I have been extremely happy with my decision.”

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: “Outside of school, I spend the majority of my time with my family. I have been married to my husband, Greg, for 19 years and we have two amazing children. Our son, Henry, is 15 years old and is a sophomore at Dakota High School. Our daughter, Abby, is 13 years old and she is in 8th grade at Seneca Middle School. Most of my evenings and weekends are spent getting my kids to their various activities – baseball, softball, soccer, etc. I also manage my daughter’s soccer team and help my husband manage my son’s baseball team. For free time, I like to play soccer and read.”

A: “My husband and I met in middle school, and we have been together ever since.”

Along with the three new staff members, LCN will welcome back another staff member, Mr. Pardi. Mr. Pardi was Mrs. Macomber’s student teacher during the 2017-2018 school year. He is currently Mr. Kiner’s long term substitute.

Mr. Pardi

A: “Right before I began full-time student teaching at LCN I had two jobs. I was a manager/shift leader at a Little Caesars Pizza near my home. I also worked part-time as an audio engineer recording musicians.”

A: “I had no experience with LCN prior to being a student teacher here. In all honesty, Oakland University (my alma mater) asked each education student to select 3 school districts they would want to student teach at. Most of us, myself included, selected a location close to where we live. (Saves money on gas, and time driving. We were all very busy.) That being said, even though it was an arbitrary choice, it was the best outcome. I have been eager since I first experienced [Crusader Nation] and met my mentor teacher (Mrs. Macomber) to be as involved in this community as possible. Seeing a school where more than just a handful of teachers care about the students has been inspiring and gives me great goals to set for myself.”

Q: What do you do outside of school?

A: “I like to read. I play, listen, and record music. I also like to listen to podcasts and research philosophical ideas. (It is more fun than it sounds, I promise.)”

A: “Probably nothing. Thanks to the internet, most of my students know more about me than I know about myself.”

About the Writer
Erin Koscielski, Photo Editor

Name: Erin Koscielski

Grade: 12th

Position on staff: Photo Editor

Fun fact about me: I am in Link Crew, NHS, and Mu Alpha Theta. I also volunteer...

1 Comment

One Response to “New Staff at LCN”

1. bella marquardt on December 7th, 2018 12:29 pm

Mrs. O’Connell is my first hour teacher and I learned a lot about her.

New Staff at LCN