Cultural Day

LCN Starts a New Tradition

Cultural Day

"La Bamba" performance

Lisa Macomber

"La Bamba" performance

Lisa Macomber

Lisa Macomber

"La Bamba" performance

Keonna McQuerry, Guest Writer

On November 20, L’Anse Creuse High School North’s  Diversity Club showcased the first annual Cultural Day. This is a day, much like Black History month, allowed different cultures and races perform different acts such as dances, songs, poems, and much more.

“We wanted to do something different,” Diversity Club administrator Mrs. Esshaki stated. “After last year’s Black History month performances, we got lots of questions and comments about how we should start doing something for all cultures, this is what we came up with!”

After all the hard work and stress that was put into making it happen, it paid off.

There was a variety of many different acts from many different cultures such as an African Majorette dance, a traditional Mexican dance called La Bamba, and even a Vietnamese Fashion Show. The purpose of each act was not only to discover some amazingly talented LCN students, but also to shed some light on the students who come from very different backgrounds, and in a way, share their story. “It was very empowering and encouraging to see other cultures performing,” Daniel Showers, ‘19 stated. “We never get to really see the other cultures in our school.”

“We wanted to do something different””

— Sheila Esshaki

Cultural Day is a very new thing for the school, and it has never been done before. The feedback from it has been very positive, and members from Diversity Club have talked about making it a yearly thing like the Black History Month Celebration. “I think it would be great if this was something that could be done every year,” Diversity Club member Angie Vita ‘19 stated, “It would give more people of an opportunity to… Showcase their talents, and their culture.”

Hopefully this does become something that Diversity Club and LCN as a whole decide to continue to do!