• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Social Media is Low-key Why You Suck at Life

Social Media Is Ruining Us

According to Psychology Today, studies have shown that an excessive amount of social media use can lead to anxiety, depression, loneliness, and even Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)”

Social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook are well known and are extremely addictive. They keep you updated on all of the things that are going wrong in the world, and are even a fun way to keep up and connect with friends. The whole thing is great, but could all of this be the devil in disguise?

According to a Pew Survey, in 2014 and 2015, 94 percent of teens and young adults use at least one platform of social media, and 71 percent of them use multiple platforms. Studies show that social media can have a detrimental effect on many aspects of a person’s life, including real life relationships and even academic achievements. CBS News reported that in 2016, more than half of teens said they meet most of their friends/partners online rather than in person.

As for academics, Teaching Times stated that 54 percent of teachers say that their students are struggling with things like writing and these teachers believe it is because the students are too focused on what’s going on in their phones.

Social media also plays a big role in how people view themselves. It’s based on popularity and your follower status: the more followers, the more of a “somebody” you are; the less, well it’s not looking too good for you. Its things like this that can lead to cyber bullying, which then leads to problems with mental health. According to “Psychology Today”, studies have shown that an excessive amount of social media use can lead to anxiety, depression, loneliness and even Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

So before you whip out your phone to send out your streaks or to see who has Twitter beef with whom, how about you take the time to stop and breathe. Yes, it’s a great feeling opening up your phone to see what’s trending, but sometimes it’s better to take a break from all of the chaos and focus on what is going on right in front of you.