• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

The Christmas Controversy

The Christmas Controversy

Erin Lyon

Erin Lyon

Erin Lyon

Gina Hofbauer, Features Editor

In the last few decades or so, its safe to say that generations have grown to be more accepting and inclusive than ever before. However, there is a thing as being maybe a little too ‘inclusive’. A recent debate was sparked circling around certain classic Christmas movies,songs, and even Santa Claus himself. The ‘conspiracies’ have a large number of followers on either side, but the question everyone is asking is, “Is America too soft?”

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, a beloved classic since 1964, is under fire for having a plot involving bullying. Some people believe the reindeer have bullied Rudolph, including his own father Donner, who once said “There are more important things than comfort: self respect”, when trying to cover Rudolph’s red nose. Some also argue that the movie has a more powerful effect on viewers stating that others did not believe in Rudolph because he was different, but in the end realized being different makes you special.

Another Christmas melody is also receiving a cold shoulder from many listeners. The song, “Baby it’s Cold Outside,” has some radio stations refusing to play the tune. The lyrics have a female saying “I really can’t stay,” to which a man replies, “but baby it’s cold outside” which may not sound like much. The song however continues and has lines such as “say,what’s in this drink?”, “The answer is no,” and other forms of the woman saying she needs to leave. Many listeners began wondering if this song had dark undertones of sexual assault. It’s not too hard to imagine as we live in a world where stories of sexual assault are constantly on the news and social media. Composer Frank Loesser’s daughter, Susan, stands by her fathers lyrics stating, “I think it’s a mistake attacking this song particularly. It’s not a date rape song. Its flirty, and they’re both into it”.Although the songs lyrics can easily be looked at the wrong way, is there any actual proof to it meaning more than people have believed for the past 74 years since its release?

One of the cherries on top for the most absurd Christmas controversies had twitter flooding with user’s opinions after a news article was tweeted stating that some people believe the beloved Santa Claus should be changed as a gender neutral or women’s role. A poll conducted by GraphicSprings had 19% of people wanting Saint Nick to become gender neutral while 10% wanted him to become female. The idea of Santa traces back all the way to times of A.D. (Anno Dominici: The year Jesus was born). The world has only known Santa and Misses Claus- Why do people want it to change? Children hope and dream to see the big bellied, white bearded, jolly man laying presents around the tree and they have for decades. Some people believe changing Santa to a female would be a step for women but what about men? Should men be stripped of a position for a women after all these years? It’s not like women are totally forgotten, Miss Claus is a fan favorite also!

It’s amazing to see that America is becoming more inclusive.The truth is, not every single person will always be included on such things. Holiday songs ,movies, and characters date back up to thousands of years where times were extremely different than they are today. These holiday traditions have been around for centuries and only are circulated for about a month or so every year with children and adults handling them just fine- So why is there a need for change?