• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

Tigers Spring Training Preview

Victoria Myers, News Editor

It has been years since the Tigers have seen the World Series, but there is some young talent and rising stars heading to spring training.
Nick Castellanos was the best offensive player in 2018, and the Tigers avoided arbitration with him this winter. Castellanos has not had the best defensive record in right field, but his offensive strength is essential to the Tigers. There is a possibility of a trade though, Castellanos could possibly be traded before Spring Training. With Bryce Harper and Manny Machado on the market however, striking a deal for Castellanos is unlikely.
There is a new face that has been invited to spring training; Casey Mize was the first overall pick in the draft last year. Mize is just 21 years-old, but during his season in the minors last year where he posted great an ERA of 3.95. There is still the possibility that he may not make the major league club; however, he is sure to make a significant impact on the organization for years to come.
Trades were made in the off-season, one of which was of James McCann. McCann was the Tigers everyday catcher for a few years. His defensive talents were very useful, but there is a new catcher who is going after the job. Grayson Greiner, who was called up last season after the injury of John Hicks. Greiner has showed great potential and will most likely be given the job of everyday catcher.
With pitchers and catchers reporting on the twelfth questions on the pitching rotation will soon be answered. Position players report the seventeenth. In the time between then and now there could be a very different ball club in Detroit.

About the Writer
Victoria Myers, News Editor

My name is Victoria (Tori) Myers. I am the News Editor of The North Star this school year. I also am on staff as a photographer. This is my second year...