Competition: Is it Good or Bad?

Photo Credit: Nayely Espinoza-Perez

IT DOES GOOD FOR YOU (Nayely Espinoza Perez’s View): When it comes to competition, many people underestimate the positive impact that it can have on someone. There is no doubt that competition can lead to many great things, and people need to start recognizing the benefits that is brings.

Competition within people is important; it opens up a path were others can set a goal for themselves. For instance, if you’re a student that’s in a class, and you find yourself trying to become better than another student- because they certainly appear to be doing fairly well- you might set up goals for yourself to become like that successful student. You may be thinking, why would that person want to become better than someone else instead of becoming a better version of themselves in the first place? However, try alternating your point of view. It is because of the competition that prompted the person (the student in this case) to set goals for themselves to become a better student. Their motives are clearly in the right path. Competition builds up character in someone for future situations. According to INCH Magazine, a debating cite used by many people, “Competition can be healthy when it provides feedback to kids about their performance and improvement, when winning is not the sole or primary objective, and when kids get to learn about themselves under challenging situations…That way, win or lose, our children will learn, grow, and be better prepared for life, which (like competition) provides highlights, adversity, and continual opportunities to play well with others and treat opponents with dignity and respect.”

Competition also keeps you learning. The willingness and determination to become better leads you to keep learning more. Not to mention that competition pushes you to achieve aspirations. The creativity that starts to develop inside- the adrenaline that competition provokes- is something that should be thought of as a good thing. When you work hard to achieve your goals, you’ll soon find some satisfaction within yourself and your accomplishments.

Without hesitation, competition motivates people inspires people to do their best- not just good enough.

IT DOESN’T DO ANY GOOD (Victorianna Beels’s View):

Competition is a huge part in daily life. Every which way you look, the fiercest competitors stare you in the face. Competition is usually thought of as a good thing, used to push those around them harder and inspire them to achieve greater things. But is competition truly always good?

The most commonly thought of area with competition is sports. Being on the swim team, competition is a huge part of my everyday life. Commonly competition is used to push us to work harder at practice to beat the people better than us at swim meets.

Standing behind the block, you bounce around on the pool deck to get your heart rate up for the 50 freestyle. The sound of your heart beat echoes through your ears and thuds throughout your chest. This is your last chance to make states: the biggest, most competitive meet of the season. The only thought racing through your head is the 25 second 50 you will be swimming within a matter of minutes. Your nerves are blossoming within the confines of your stomach. You look down at the deck and put your goggles on: you are getting in the zone. The next thing you know, your coach comes up next to you and places his hand on your shoulder. He says, “This is it: your last race. Give it all you got and don’t let her beat you. If you keep up with her, you should get your cut.” Then he walks away, leaving you more scared than you had been before. The whole building fades into a silent state. The official to your far right reaches for the speaker. “Swimmers step up,” this is it, “take your mark,” the final race of the season. And then the buzzer goes off.

Once the sound reaches your ears, you take the frigid plunge into the pure blue water resting peacefully below you, and you are off. As you swim the race, your muscles begin to burn like they never have before. You glance next to you to see that the girl you should be keeping up with is nowhere to be seen. You keep going, pushing yourself as hard as you can until your body feels like it is about to rip in half. Finally, you slam your hand into the rubbery touch pad and lift your head out of the water. You look to your left and the girl next to you had already long finished. You quickly turn around and look up at the score board revealing that girl next to you went a 24, and you went a 27: a second slower than your best time. You let your nerves get the best of you.

Using competition as a way to push somebody is not always the best thing to do for the athlete. The nervousness created by being reminded of everything that is at stake and the person next to them can create a bad energy, making the athlete do bad due to how nervous they are. The nerves take over and limits how they could really do.