• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

NBA All Star Game Recap

Has Durant surpassed Lebron?

NBA All Star Game Recap

Shane Sellers, Staff Writer

The NBA all-star weekend has come and gone. The stars of the past, present, and future were all in attendance on the league’s biggest showcase of the year. The dunk contest provided plenty of flair, especially when Hamidou Diallo dunked over all-time great Shaquille O’Neal. The three point contest turned out to be highly entertaining, with sharpshooter Stephen Curry taking on the rising star from the Brooklyn Nets, Joe Harris. Harris won by only two points in the contest, while runner up Stephen Curry had 24 points, and Buddy Hield had 19 points.

The same could not be said for the all-star game; the two captains were Lebron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo. Antetokounmpo scored 38 points, and he was the leading scorer in the entire game. James, however, seemed to struggle a little bit. James shot 9 of 17, while he was only 1 of 8 from the three point line.

Team Lebron’s leading scorer was Kevin Durant. Durant, the man who stopped James in his tracks during the 2018 NBA finals, picked up right where he left off from the first half of the season. Durant was 10 of 15 from the floor, while making 6 of 9 from beyond the arc. To put it lightly, Durant played like his old self against Lebron and ended up taking home this year’s all-star game MVP.

This begs the question: is it really as clear cut anymore who is the best player in the NBA? The simple answer is this: age is catching up with Lebron. Durant is quicker and has a higher three point percentage. James is shooting 34.9 percent, while Durant is shooting 36.4 percent from three. The workload is also different. There is nobody more valuable to their respective team than James is to the Lakers. However, Durant doesn’t need to play 38 minutes per game when he is virtually on an all-star team himself.

Ryan Mccalister, ‘22 said, “Lebron is the face of the NBA. When you think of basketball, you don’t think of Durant [you think of Lebron].”

Weighing in on the matter,  Tyler Leroy, ’20 noted, “Durant is definitely the better player now. That’s only because he has great players surrounding him.”

“As a basketball player, if I could take Lebron’s driving ability with Durant’s jump shot, I’d be all set,” said Sam Stimmel, ’20.

About the Contributor
Shane Sellers, Staff Writer

I am a junior at L'Anse Creuse High School North. I play on the varsity tennis team. I am the one singles player. In addition to playing tennis, I like...