MST or Honors- Is MST Worth it?

Brenna Filbey, Copy Editor

Students around LCN have heard the “I’m in Honors, AP or MST classes” saying for ages, but are these programs really worth it?

For the students who really want to get ahead, yes. Out of all three classes Honors is the easiest. Honors classes are a step above what is considered “regular” or “general” classes. These classes might have slightly more work, or need a higher level of understanding of the subject. Students who participate in and pass their honors class will receive a .25 GPA enhancement.

For more of a challenge, Advanced Placement (AP) classes are college level classes. AP classes allow students to go above and beyond by offering college credits to those who pass the AP exam for said class. These courses are extremely time consuming, and most teachers treat their students like college students when taking these classes. AP classes also offer a 0.5- 1 point GPA enhancement for those students who pass the class and the exam with a three or higher.*

The MST program offers a mix of both AP and Honors classes. During ninth grade, MST students take two honors classes at the MST program (this is an accelerated program already). During 10th and 11th grade year, MST students have the option to take one AP class in addition to the required math and science courses. In an MST students’ senior year, they can take two AP classes offered in the program. MST Honors and AP classes do receive the respective GPA bumps if applicable.

All three paths are great choices, and they all help to prepare a student for college.

* “In most cases, your score is a weighted combination of your scores on the multiple-choice section and on the free-response section. Some AP courses, including AP Computer Science Principles, AP Research, AP Seminar, and AP Studio Art, include through-course performance tasks, either in place of or in addition to multiple-choice or free-response questions. The final score is reported on a 5-point scale as follows:

5 = extremely well qualified, 4 = well qualified, 3 = qualified, 2 = possibly qualified, 1 = no recommendation

“Qualified” means that you have proven yourself capable of doing the work of an introductory-level course in a particular subject at college. Many colleges and universities grant credit and placement for scores of 3, 4 or 5; however, each college decides which scores it will accept.”  (https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores/about-ap-scores).