• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Story of a GOAT

Neko Licavoli, Staff Writer

With the 199th pick of the 6th round in the year 2000’s NFL Draft, the New England Patriots selected Tom Brady from the University of Michigan. Soon after being drafted, Tom Brady told Robert Kraft, the owner of the Patriots, “I’m the best decision this organization has ever made.” That’s where arguably the greatest quarterback of all time earned his starting position.

Brady was born on August 3 1977, in San Mateo, California. He is the only son of four children to Galynn and Thomas Brady Sr. At an early age, Brady played and enjoyed all sports; especially baseball and football. Growing up in California, he attended San Francisco 49er’s games, watching his idol, Joe Montana, who was the quarterback of the 49ers at the time. Throughout high school, Brady continued to play football and baseball, but on the baseball diamond is where he gained most recognition. In the 1995 MLB Draft, he was drafted in the 18th round to the Montreal Expos. Nevertheless, Brady was determined to play football, the sport that he was always more passionate about. Later on that year, he accepted a scholarship to play football at the University of Michigan.

In Brady’s first two years at Michigan, he was the backup quarterback to Brian Griese, and even contemplated leaving Michigan. Brady kept battling for the starting position with Drew Henson and eventually was named the starting quarterback. Brady proved to the Michigan coaching staff that they made the right decision to start him. Brady went on to lead the Wolverines to multiple fourth quarter comebacks earning him the nickname of “the comeback kid”. In the two seasons Brady started at Michigan, he had a 20-5 record including wins at the Citrus Bowl and Orange Bowl. Tom Brady finished his college career ranking third in Michigan history in attempts, yards, and completion percentage.

Due to his late draft selection, Brady is considered the biggest steal in the history of the NFL Draft. In his second season with the New England Patriots, Brady took over the starting quarterback position after Drew Bledsoe was injured. He then led the Patriots to a victory in the Super Bowl over the St. Louis Rams, winning his first Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP. Since then, he is a 6-time Super Bowl champion, 4-time Super Bowl MVP, and 14-time Pro Bowl selection.

On February 26, 2009, Brady married supermodel Gisele Bundchen and together they have two children, a son named Benjamin, and a daughter named Vivian. Brady and his family reside in Massachusetts and New York City.