• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Apps in Class

Keonna McQuerry, Staff Writer

Now a days, phones are being used for literally everything, you name it. Delivering food, shopping, reading, and even learning are just some examples. Many people believe that phones are a huge distraction when it comes to learning, but others believe that with the way technology is growing it can be extremely helpful, so this brings up the burning debate: should cellphones be used in the classroom or left in lockers?

Technology seems to be improving every year, and with the amount of information you can gain just from simply saying “Hey Siri.” You’d think teachers would be more open to letting students use their phones in class, but no. Most teachers feel phones cause nothing but distraction. With things like memes on Twitter, and all those streaks that have to be kept up with, it’s no wonder why teachers say phones are a distraction, but what a lot of teachers don’t realize is that there is a way to compromise and get students more involved with doing their school work. One of those ways are learning apps, there are millions of apps out there and as of 2018 2.1 million apps are educational. Here are just a few of those apps that help students education.

1.Lynda

“Lynda” is an app that has a wide variety of subjects you can learn from anywhere at anytime, also it gives you the freedom to learn at your own pace. The only downfall is there is a monthly payment.

1. Khan Academy

“Khan” is probably the most known website and app mainly because of its SAT and ACT prep courses. But that’s not all it offers, Khan has grades K-12, and has a large variety of courses that are professionally taught, and the best part about it is that it’s 100% free!

1. TED

“TED” or “Ted Talks”, is most commonly known for its informational and slightly inspirational video speeches. This app has 10 to 18 minute videos containing speeches on all kinds of subjects. Just like Khan this is completely free of charge.

1. Lumosity

“Lumosity” is an app that gets those brain muscles goin’! This app offers several series of brain training games that involves math, reading and problem solving. Scientific experts and game developers came together to come up with this app, and just like the previous apps listed above, Lumosity is free.

1. StudyBlue

“StudyBlue” is a crowd-sourced learning app, that uses notes, flashcards, study guides and more to help you in a class that you might need some extra help in ( or for that test you knew you had but just chose not to study for). Not only is this app free but it’s created by teachers and students alike!

1. Kahoot!

“Kahoot” is an app where you can get quizzed on all class subjects. All of the questions are made by students and teachers, and it’s probably the most well known educational app, and used the most in classrooms.

1. Brainly

“Brainly” operates a group of social learning networks for students and educators alike! This is a great way to help your peers and share all of the knowledge you have and vice versa. Just like the others this app is completely free of charge.

1. Youtube

That’s right, “Youtube” is not just a place for receiving ultimate tingles from your favorite ASMRist (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response), or watching cute and funny cat videos, believe it or not it’s actually a really good place for learning. With videos like Crash Courses, and even TED Talks, this app has a vast majority of information.

Now that you know there are other educational apps out there, other than Kahoot, maybe it’s time to take a look at some of these options and actually be productive on your phone, and for all those teachers out there, here is a list of apps you could incorporate into your class curriculum, again other than Kahoot, and maybe students will start getting more involved, because let’s be honest, when’s the last time you opened your textbooks?

There are millions of apps out there, and as of 2018, 2.1 million apps are educational”