• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Black History Month Celebration

Black History Month Celebration

Keonna McQuerry, Staff Writer

Each year L’Anse Creuse High School North’s Diversity Club puts on a “Black History Month Celebration” to show some of the background history of influential black people.

On March 5, during 2nd and 5th hour, some LCN students will showcase a variety of talents, from singing to poetry, and even a surprise step-team routine. Diversity Club has been doing this celebration for approximately 5 years now and plan to keep this tradition going for the following years. “This celebration I feel is really important for our school, because the statistics of our school is 10% black or other and 90% caucasian,” says Diversity Club member Aniya O’Neal ‘19, “so, the education that is being shared of black history can be extremely beneficial to the students at our school.” A lot of people may have noticed that the traditional Black History Month Celebration has been postponed to March 5, due to the snow days LCN has had over the past couple of days, “We lost some snow days. The kids needed more time to practice.” administrator of Diversity Club Sheila Esshaki stated.

The event will still be held during 2nd and 5th hour, in order to attend the celebration your teacher needs to sign up for it. The celebration will also be held in the cafeteria, “ The only venue is the cafeteria. It is a respectful arts event, so the gym is not the atmosphere we are looking for. It can hold 400 people.” Sheila Esshaki stated, “We try to cap the number, so we can have more of a respectful atmosphere. We will sign up 12-15 classes.”

Diversity Club has been working very hard to make sure that this year’s “Black History Month Celebration” is the best one yet this year, so look forward to some new unexpected performances.

About the Writer
Keonna McQuerry, Staff Writer

Keonna McQuerry

Grade 12

Fun Fact About Me: My mother named me after the Queen B herself (My middle name is Beyonce)

Hobbies: I love to...