• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Ted Bundy Files

Ted Bundy Files

Google Images

Google Images

Google Images

Victoria Myers, News Editor

Netflix has dabbled in crime documentaries before with Making a Murderer, but Conversations With a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes became a national phenomenon upon its release.
Stephen Michaud, a journalist, interviewed Ted Bundy during his prison sentence and recorded all of their interactions. The documentary explores Bundy’s childhood and young adulthood before he began his surprising crime spree. From the beginning, Bundy was convinced that he was falsely convicted and that Michaud would write a book proclaiming his innocence. Michaud never planned to write this book, but he kept up the lie to continue to interview Bundy. The mini-series touches on the stories of the victims and their lives, but does not dive into their stories. However, there is an interview with one of Bundy’s victims that escaped, and triggered his first conviction in Utah. Interviews with lawyers, law enforcement and other journalists were also included throughout the series.
There are many strong opinions on this documentary that fall vastly across the spectrum.The documentary depicted just how odd the circumstances were: a young, charming man was committing such heinous crimes. Bundy was always depicted as a villain and was not glorified, this was much appreciated. The contents involving the victims were a bit lacking though. So much more could have been done to tell the stories of the victims, their stories were told, but just the surface. Seniors Julissa Grulke and M. DelGreco agree that this documentary, “It was pretty good because it explained how dangerous he was and how unexpected it was that he was a serial killer/ rapist and they filled in the ironic twist of how rumor has it a women flipped the switch to kill him,” stated Grulke. “Well as a person who’s interested in true crime and really appreciates good documentaries, I can say it was really a good example of both. I really liked how it had some of the voice recordings of him, it helped add a certain creepy aspect the story,” said DelGreco. The groundwork was there to make this an all-around great documentary, but there was something left to be desired with the finished product.

About the Writer
Victoria Myers, News Editor

My name is Victoria (Tori) Myers. I am the News Editor of The North Star this school year. I also am on staff as a photographer. This is my second year...