Marching into the Madness

Chris Peraino, Reporter

March is the month of college basketball. It is all about heartbreak losses, buzzer beaters, and the most important the NCAA championship. March Madness is right around the corner!
The NCAA men’s top 25 has been juggling all around with big upsets which will affect them for the big tournament. The teams looking to rank at number one seeds for the tournament are Gonzaga, Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky. If they win out, they most likely will be the top team in the region. To begin the season, the Duke Blue Devils were projected by many sources to win the NCAA tournament with the newly arrived freshman Zion Williamson, R.J. Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Tre Jones. Unfortunately, their last six games they went 3-3 dropping them in the rankings from number one to number five.
The Big Dance has many people on their toes waiting for it to start. Mario Vladi ’22 says, “I have North Carolina winning the tournament because they are good and they are one of my favorite teams for basketball.” Currently, North Carolina is ranked at number three in the nation winning their last six games and three of those against ranked opponents.
Tim Burgess ‘21 says, “Duke is winning it all because they have a really solid team and have a really good group of players.” Duke currently is ranked fifth in the nation. After being out for just over three weeks, Zion will make his return in the ACC conference tournament against Syracuse on March 14th to start their run in the tournament. If they win that game, they most likely will play North Carolina for a third time this season.
Before the tournament begins, each conference holds their conference tournament and the winner of that automatically gets a seed locked in for their team. The biggest conference tournaments coming up are the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12. Those conferences have are the best in the country when it comes to basketball.
There is a men’s tournament but how could people forget about the women’s tournament. Their tournament starts right around the same time and the team looking to go back to back is Notre Dame. Last year, Notre Dame’s Arike Ogumbawale hit a buzzer beater in the NCAA semifinals against top seed Connecticuit to drop them from the tournament, and in the finals she hit a buzzer beater