• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Empire Star Behind Bars

Neko Licavoli, Staff Writer

Jussie Smollett, star character of “Empire”, faces felony charges for allegedly filing a false police report. The police report that as filed on claiming that he was the victim of a hate crime in Chicago, Illinois. Smollett claimed that he was the attacked by two masked individuals on January 29, 2019. Smollett claims that the men put a noose around his head/neck and were yelling out homophobic and racial slurs towards him prior to attacking. He also states that the attackers poured a chemical substance on him during the attack. On February 13, the Chicago Police Department arrested the two men who allegedly attacked Smollett. The two men, who were brothers, were released without charges, which was when the police starting to find out that the “attack” was planned by Smollett.

After thorough  investigation by the Chicago Police Department, it was determined that the allegations made by Smollett were false in every way. It was found that Smollett had this hate crime planned prior and had contacted the two men to perform this hate crime on Smollett. The consequences Smollett is now facing have impacted not only in his personal life but also his career. If found guilty of the charges being held against him, he could face many years in prison. Aside from his legal punishments that could be held on Smollett, he has recently been removed for the remainder of the season of the hit show, “Empire”.

On March 14 2019, Jussie Smollett appeared in court and pleaded not guilty to his charges. While announcing his arrest, the Chicago Police Department expressed frustration towards Smollett. To date, Smollett has not received any charges, but he is set to appear in court again soon.