The Real is Back, The ‘Ville is Back -With a Vengeance

J.Cole Continuously Snubbed of Awards

Gina Hofbauer, Features Editor, Photographer

As a new age of rappers pour into the pot called the music industry, it’s hard to stay afloat as a relevant artist and to maintain your following. While many rappers come and go, few have the skill to continuously put out hits year after year. J.Cole is one of those rappers. Cole has been in the game since 2007, and his career has skyrocketed since.

After dropping his latest album, KOD (Later guessed to represent ‘Kids on Drugs’ or ‘Kill our Demons’), fans around L’Anse Creuse North were blown away by Cole’s lyrics, depth, and overall production of the album. That’s why it comes to surprise to many on how notoriously Cole has been snubbed out of awards for his work. Cole has been nominated for over 43 music related awards since 2012. However; He has only won 6 out of 43 of those awards.  It’s hard to imagine Cole not winning many of the awards after the fact that he produces almost all of his own albums. Even after going double platinum with his album including zero features, Forest Hills Drive (2014). Other albums such as ‘Cole World’, ‘Born Sinner’,’4 your eyez only’, and ‘KOD’, have all followed suit by going platinum as well. It seems that any album Cole touches turns not to gold, but platinum…literally.

In particular, The Grammys have been known for snubbing Cole. After 5 Grammy nominations and zero wins, Cole made his distaste for the award show known to the public when he released “Fire Squad” in 2014. Cole calls the Grammys out but claims he is just kidding with the lines “This year I’ll prolly go to the awards dappered down / Watch Iggy win a Grammy as I try to crack a smile / I’m just playin’, but all good jokes contain true sh*t.” Since then, Cole was snubbed once again after not appearing on the nomination list for ‘Best rap album’ in 2018. This took not only Cole, but other artists and fans by shock due to the roaring success of his latest triple platinum album, ‘KOD’. Many fans conspire that the Grammys purposely snub Cole because of his public statements towards the show. Sophomore Cooper Wiacek is one of the many students here at LCN that believes Cole has been stripped of success for much to long. “J.Cole has been producing music for a long time,”Wiacek says. “Every song or album he produces is unique and different. It’s not easy. Cole definitely deserves to be recognized for his art and talent.” Even through all the underrating he has suffered, Cole remains classy and offers his congratulations to all that made the 2018 Grammy nomination list as posted in a tweet.

Between Cole’s ground breaking artistic talents, empowerment of young black women in his videos, and his leadership of producing most of his songs, there is no question that he is well overdue for the small gold award. However; that doesn’t appear to be coming anytime soon.