• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

A Role Of A Lifetime

LCN senior, Shelby Wunderlich, recalls her budding acting career

Bekka Plitz, Reporter

Taking on the lead role of your favorite musical can be pretty scary, or it can be the best time of your life. It all depends on how you look at all of it. For Shelby Wunderlich ‘19, it was a dream come true. Wunderlich has been a fan of musicals ever since middle school. She truly began to fall in love with Broadway back in 2017 when she first discovered the musical “Hamilton”. Wunderlich’s all time favorite musical is “Little Shop of Horrors” and recently, she had the honor of portraying the lead role of Audrey.

“Being the lead role in my favorite musical was literally mind blowing. Everything was so perfect, from my cast, to my director, and of course to my role,” said Wunderlich. In previous shows, she has had the opportunity to experience what it was like working with two different directors; LCN’s Mr. John Alwardt, and Pankow’s Mr. Kirk Erickson. “Working with both of them was a really interesting experience to be completely honest. They have very different directing style and both worked really well! I loved being able to have the chance to work with both of them within my time at North.” Wunderlich had previously been in Alwardt’s productions of “Bye Bye Birdie” and “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee”. Working in “Little Shop of Horrors” was her first show and last show with Erickson as she graduates later this semester.

Every person of the cast had different moments that they thought were the most terrifying or the most exciting. For Wunderlich, it was seeing the plants truly come to life. “The first time I saw Audrey II talk was incredible. It was amazing to see him in action, and I actually cried because I was so excited and overwhelmed.” In the show, there were four different plant sizes for the puppeteer to use. Throughout the show, the plant became bigger and bigger, up until the point to where the puppeteer was actually sitting inside of the plant and moving it. The final plant was also big enough to swallow the actors when they “died”.

Although Wunderlich is a senior and will not be able to be apart of anymore of Erickson’s shows, she will always cherish the time and memories that she was able to share with him and the rest of the cast of “Little Shop of Horrors”.