Honor Cord Requirements

Keonna McQuerry, Staff Writer

Have you ever been to a graduation ceremony and saw people walking across the stage with ropes draped across their shoulders and thought to yourself, what is that? Well they’re called Honor Cords, and the way you can receive one is either by being part of the Honor Society, or earning various academic and non-academic achievements, awards, or honors. There are many different things you can be a part of to receive an honor cord, and some are easier to receive than others.

L’Anse Creuse High School North offers many different honor cords. They offer cords for Arts, Band, Business, Community Service, English, Life Management, Math, Mu Alpha Theta, National Art Honor Society, Science, the Senior Honors Project, Social Studies, Student Council, Technology Education, Vocal Music, World Language, and Link Crew. All different opportunities for an honor cord, but all of the requirements are different as well which has some people thinking, should all of the requirements be the same?

The requirements to get an honor cord in the different subjects all require you to do different things. For example to receive an English Honor Cord you have to maintain a 3.5 GPA in your English classes through first semester of your senior year, but for the Social Studies Honor Cord requirements, you need a minimum of 4 social studies credits (8 classes), 3 ½ of which (7 classes) must be completed by the end of first semester of your senior year, it also requires a GPA of 3.3 in social studies, and one AP class(i.e. AP World History; begins with class of 2020). So do you see the difference between the two requirements? The same goes with club Honor Cord requirements. For Key club the requirements are that you attend 80 percent of the meetings, do most of the Key club events, fill out a form requesting an honor cord, you do not have to be in Key club for a certain amount of time to earn an honor cord, but the request form does have to be approved by students who run Key club as a opposed to clubs like Mu Alpha Theta, their requirements are previously or currently enrolled in Pre-Calculus or AP Calculus, maintaining at least a 3.0 GPA in all mathematics courses taken, they have to attend all Mu Alpha Theta meetings, participate in Pi Week, provide after school tutoring for Math Help Days, and be a member of MAT for a minimum of two years. Also, only certain clubs receive honor cords, not all of them.

Some of the Honor cords require lots of hard work and maintaining of GPA and grades, while others all you have to do really is, show up. There are a wide variety of academic programs that a student can get involved in that can get them a honor cord, but the requirements for all if not most of them should all be the same, across the board.