Boys Varsity Tennis Comes Out Swinging

Shane Sellers, Sports Editor

Shane Sellers
Crusaders at the first match of the year versus Port Huron

The boys varsity tennis season has bounced back once again. The guys have been practicing since August 12, the first day of the MHSAA fall season. The boys are currently 1-2-5. That’s right, they have FIVE ties! According to Gavin Glefke ’20, a singles player for the Crusaders, “This is extremely rare to have five ties in a season, and we are only halfway in the season.”

The varsity team’s next match is home at the courts on September 26 at 4:00, against the division rival Romeo Bulldogs. The team is looking forward to possibly having the first winning season in three years. Harrison Ryan ’20, a doubles player, said “We have a few tough division matches left that will decide our season.”

The team has a new singles player that looks to lead the team for the next few years. Matt Kiewski ’23, is a freshman that has already cracked the singles lineup, which is rare for a freshman. Kiewski said, “I played on the middle school team for three years so I’m ready to play for the high school now.”

The varsity team is coached this year by Blake Kwiecinski, now in his first season as coach for the boys team. He is only four years older than the seniors, so his relatability to the players has helped to build comradery with the team. It takes 12 players to have a full team, and the team has exactly 12 players this year. Coach Kwiecinski spent the first two weeks of the season building a lineup that would compete in the MAC White, and so far his first year has been going well based on their record. The teams in the tennis MAC White are Dakota, Chippewa, L’Anse Creuse Central, LCN, Utica, and Stevenson.
For the complete tennis schedule, click here. Fans are encouraged to show support and come out to their upcoming matches!