Varsity Football Looking to Get Back On Track

Team looking to bounce back after blowout loss against Utica Ford

Crusaders hoping to get into end zone more this week.

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers, Sports Editor

The 2019 LCN Varsity Football team is looking to get off to a better start than what they did last season. Currently, they are 2-2 on the year in which all four games have ended in blowouts.

In the first game against L’Anse Creuse High School, LCN won 40-0. In game two of the year, the Mott Marauders won 45-6. In game three, the Crusaders won 42-0 over Grosse Pointe North. In the most recent game last Friday, Utica Henry Ford II shutout the Crusaders 38-0.

In the game this week against the Cousino Patriots, LCN has a good shot to win, as Cousino has an 0-4 record; they have also been in blowouts all four games. They have only scored 20 points all season, and two of the four games they were shutout.

The Crusader defense is looking to potentially have a big week against Cousino’s poor offense. Tyler LeRoy ‘20, a defensive lineman for the Crusaders, said, “We should be able to get some pressure on their quarterback and be able to give our offense back the ball. If we can do that, we’ll be fine.”

On the offensive side of the ball, the Crusaders are looking for more consistency. Like LeRoy said, it’s going to be important for the defense to get off the field. Last game against Utica Henry Ford II, the offense had multiple three-and-out series followed by the defense staying on the field for long drives. According to wideout Dawson Splitt ‘20, “We need to find a way to stay on the field. Last game we gave up a pick-six and it got out of hand after that.”

The Crusaders game against Cousino will kick off at Robert Zimmerman Field at 7PM. It’s a home game, and the Crusaders need their fan base to get them back on track. The theme is blackout.