High School Student’s Guide to Everything 2020 Presidential Election

Voting+is+a+pivotal+right+in+our+democracy.++

Voting is a pivotal right in our democracy.

Joe Rragami

Joe Rragami

Joe Rragami

Shane Sellers, Sports Editor

With the 2020 presidential election coming up, many current high school seniors don’t realize they may be eligible to vote. As long as you are 18 on November 3, 2020, you are eligible to vote in the election; moreover, if you are 18 on March 10, you can vote in the presidential primary.

What is truly at stake here? Many students feel as though it’s not necessary to vote. Students have absolutely no clue what to do at the polls or how to register.

There are five very simple steps to become registered to vote and what to do after the fact:

1. You must be a U.S. citizen, a Michigan citizen, a citizen of the town you are registering in, and at least 18 years old by Election Day.
  2. Fill out an application at your local Secretary of State branch office, or your local county, city, township clerk’s office, offices of several state agencies (like the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Community Health, and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs), Military recruitment centers, voter registration drives, or online at www.Michigan.gov/sos.
  3. Submit your application. If you hand-deliver your application, the staff person helping you will take your form and you don’t need to do anything else. If you have never registered to vote in Michigan and choose to mail in your application, you will need to meet an identification requirement. The easiest way is to bring your driver’s license/personal ID.
  4. Your city or township clerk will send you a voter registration card upon processing your application. Keep it in your wallet or purse, that way you will know where to go to cast your ballot.
  5. You would now be registered! When you go to the polls on Election Day, you will be asked to present voter identification. Proper ID: includes your driver’s license, US passport, or even more conveniently, your high school ID!

Many high school seniors will be going away for college in the fall, and they will not be home to vote. This is very simple. All you have to do is request an absentee ballot before Election Day from your township clerk’s office.

Another major issue for high school students and young people in general is that they are not well educated on the candidates and the issues they are fighting for. For now, since the primaries to pick one candidate to run against President Trump have not occurred yet, we’ll keep this very simple. Here are the democratic presidential candidates that qualified for the last democratic debate on September 12: Senator Amy Klobuchar, Senator Cory Booker, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Senator Bernie Sanders, former vice-president Biden, Senator Elizabeth Warren, Senator Kamala Harris, entrepreneur Andrew Yang, Former congressman Beto O’Rourke, and former secretary Julián Castro.

As we get closer to the primaries on March 10, the list of candidates should be dwindled to the point where we can analyze each candidate issue-by-issue. For now, the BEST source of information on the candidates is to watch the debates. The next debate will be held at Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio, on Oct. 15 and possibly Oct. 16, and will be hosted by CNN and The New York Times. Representative Tulsi Gabbard and billionaire Tom Steyer have qualified for that debate, so they will be on stage in addition to the ten candidates from the last debate.