You’ve Got Money in Your Pocket, But No Time to Spend it.

Does a Job Kill Your Social Life?

Does a Job Kill Your Social Life?

Does a Job Kill Your Social Life?

Does a Job Kill Your Social Life?

Victorianna Beels, Copy Editor/ Business Manager

High school students are the busiest breed of teenager. AP, honors, athletics, essays galore. School and after school activities are already so much for teens, but many are still able to find time to blossom into a social butterfly. But what about the students who have part time jobs as well? Is it possible to juggle academics, athletics, and employment while also keeping a social life?

Six hours a day, five days a week, teenagers all around the globe sit in classes to receive an education. Although the students think that the six hours a day is enough, teachers tend to disagree. The average high school student in the United States has roughly an hour and a half of homework a night. 

By the end of the day, many high school students spend anywhere from seven to eight hours a day on their education. This might not seem like a lot because that is all students have to do in their day. However, many times this is not the case.

Many students are involved in after school activities such as sports and clubs, which are very time consuming. The average high school athlete spends from 10-15 hours a week after school practicing for their sport. This is an average of two to three hours a day after school. These three hour practices make a school day eleven hours.

If a high school school day ends around 2:30 pm, this means that many students aren’t done with their school day until 5:30. Then they still need time to finish their homework, which will take them another hour or two. Not to mention the time that it takes for students to get home and for them to eat dinner.

This means that for the average, involved high school student, you will not complete all of your to do list until nearly eight o’clock at night. So if the school to do list won’t be done until eight pm, then when do you have time for a job or for a social life?

A part time job is anything below 40 hours a week. For a student like Erin White ‘20 who has a job as well as dances, “Basically, my free time is taken up by dance, and if I’m not dancing, i’m working on homework, and if I’m not doing homework, I’m working. As a result, my social life is nonexistent and I struggle to see my friends outside of school.”

On the other hand, is it possible to balance a social life and job, when aren’t involved in any after school activities? Luke Horne ‘20, who has been employed since freshman year states, “23 hours. I get my max hours allowed in. I still get to talk to people, but I’ve also never really been the person to go out of my way to do things with my friends. Not being involved (in after school activities) is my own choice, I wanted to have a less stressful, enjoyable high school experience.”

Does having a job as a high school student kill your social life? Well, it depends. If the student who is looking for employment is an active and involved student, probably. If the student is relatively not involved with after school activities, then a job should not take too big of a toll on the social aspect of high school. Every student handles tasks differently. The type of student you are depends on how you will react to the business of juggling school, sports, after school activities, and a job.