DSO Guest Speaker at LCN

Brenna Filbey, Co-Editor-in-Chief, Features editor

On October 4, 2019 Mr. Crutcher from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra (DSO) came into Band classes at LCN, and Mr. Griffith, the band teacher, was very excited to host the guest.

“Mr. Crutcher reached out to a number of band directors wanting to initiate an outreach program and the students really enjoyed having him in. I thought it was a great experience, and he will be back later this year to continue working with us,” Griffith said.

Mr. Crutcher was very involved with each hour. He encouraged them to put emotion and passion into each bar and note of the music. “I’m here this morning because I work for the DSO and I work for civics…we want to make sure that over the course of the year we get to know you and you get to know us…we want more students from this school in that program,” he said to the class.

“It was nice having a ‘different teacher’ that had a different perspective or method [teaching],” commented Shelby Barber, ‘20.

Mr. Griffith also commented that he likes to learn things from guest teachers in his class. “I’m always trying to bring people in, not only for the students, but I always learn something…,” Griffith stated. 

Overall, the students really enjoyed the visit, and they learned a lot from Mr. Crutcher.