Lady Crusaders Basketball Looking to Hit the Court Running Hard and Fast

The Crusaders practice a new play for this season.

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers

Shane Sellers, Sports Editor

The LCN Girls Varsity Basketball team is coming off an excellent season last year. The team finished 15-7 overall last year and 6-4 in MAC Blue league play. Head Coach Bob Johnston is hoping the young talent that helped them achieve success last year will help them challenge again this year.

“We are very, very young. The good thing is we returned just about everybody. We lost a little bit of senior leadership but our athleticism is much better this year,” Johnston said.

Coach Johnston has been game-planning for this season since the summer. “[Our team is based on] speed, athleticism, and really high basketball IQ. That’s true from the first player on our roster to the last.”

Leading points, rebounds, and assists leader Brooke Daniels, ’23, looks to have another great season. “I know we’ve put in a lot of work from the offseason. We’re a young team, so our chemistry is still building, but we’ve been putting in the work all year. We want to have a good season,” Daniels stated.

Coach Johnston seemed to have an idea about how his lineup is going to look. Johnston said, “We are going to start three sophomores and a couple of juniors. Our junior center Kelsey Duffey, ’21, is one of our tri-captains and Brooke Daniels is one of our returning all-league players.”

Duffey is poised for another big year after starting at center last season. With both centers on the roster having graduated from last season (Marissa Casper and Sapphire Conway), Duffey is going to have an expanded role in the offense and should receive more minutes in the game. “I’m really excited for the team and I think we have a lot of room for growth from last year. I think we have a lot of potential so hopefully that can take us far this year,” she said of the team.

Returning shooting guard, Olivia Chadwick, ’23, is excited about the new playmaking abilities of the young team. She said, “We are going to be able to push other teams and we’re just really fast as a team. I think that’s going to be a huge advantage for us.”

Coach Johnston is excited about the new additions to the team as well. “We are putting some new drills in and when I bark out a call to get a drill mostly everyone knows it,” Johnston shared.

The lady crusaders open up the season with three straight home games starting on December 3rd against Eisenhower. The team will take on Lakeview in the biggest game of the year on the road on December 19th. That game could very likely decide the MAC Blue. While it is a long ways away, the final regular season game for the crusaders will take place on February 26th against district rival L’Anse Creuse.