Australia’s BushFire Scenes Appear Apocalyptic to the Public

Nayely Espinoza-Perez, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Twenty-eight people have lost their lives. Countless homes have been destroyed, many have become homeless. Over one billion animals have been killed. Some species are in danger of becoming extinct. These wildfires taking place nationwide across Australia are provoking unpleasant events. 

Australia has always experienced “fire season”, but this has been much worse since 2009. Fires are usually caused by lightning strikes or accidentally by spark. According to BBC News, Australia set a new temperature record with 49.1 degrees celcius that was recorded on December 18, 2019. The drier climates, scientists suggest, can contribute to more frequent and intense bushfires and causes them to spread wider. 

Australia’s 2019-2020 bushfire season has put many lives in danger. The season started in late June with Australia’s record-breaking heat and drought. In September, 2019, the fire season hit Queensland and New South Wales and continued into early 2020. These wildfires are raging in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia.

With these expanding bushfires, Australia’s environments are being destroyed not only for the people but also for animals. Through lack of food, water, and shelter, countless animals have lost their lives and several have been lost in the fires. A foundation has been made called “WWF’s Australian Wildlife and Nature Recovery Fund”. Tori Beels, ‘20, a student from LCN expresses, “I think it’s important to save the animals because if we don’t donate towards this cause, future generations might not be able to experience the wonder of seeing the exotic animals that could potentially go extinct.” 

On January 6, 2019, the U.S. sent 20 veteran firefighters help battle Australia’s out-of-control wildfires. According to apnews.com, federal agencies, like U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management, have already provided a few dozen people. 

Even though aid headed towards Australia, smoke from the fires blanket many areas. According to weforum.org, Canberra’s air quality was more than 20 times above hazardous levels, which lead to a shut down of public places.  

These unfortunate wildfires are becoming a person’s worst nightmare. The destruction of the  environment for animals and the people is devastating, and one can only try to aid Australia during these non stop wildfires.