Grand Valley State University Suspends Offensive Coordinator

Grand+Valley+State%27s+football+coach+has+been+considering+a+hate+crime.++

Grand Valley State Lakers

Grand Valley State's football coach has been considering a hate crime.

Nick Baker, Reporter

The Grand Valley State University football team was looking for a new Offensive Coordinator Coach. While the athletic director was searching for the perfect fit, the name Morris Berger came up. As a former Tight Ends Coach from Texas State University, Berger’s resume was impressive.
The staff at Grand Valley State University thought they struck a gold mine after finding Berger, considering he knew much than more they had assumed he did. After the hire, the Grand Valley State University student journalist, Kellen Voss, wanted to engage with the new hire. The Sports Editor of the Lanthorn thought the new hire for the football team had plenty of good experience in this area. Voss learned Coach Berger had a Graduate Assistant degree at Missouri and his Bachelor’s degree in history from Drury University, Missouri. Berger also holds a Master’s in Educational Psychology from Missouri Springfield. After Voss discovers Berger had his Bachelors in history, he wanted to ask an unusual question: “So you graduated from Drury with a degree in History, you’re a history guy. If you could have dinner with three historical figures, living or dead, who would they be? And I’m ruling out football figures.”
Berger then gave a very unusual answer: “This is probably not going to get a good review, but I’m going to say Adolf Hitler. It was obviously very sad and he had bad motives, but the way he was able to lead was second-to-none. How he rallied a group and a following, I want to know how he did that. Bad intentions of course, but you can’t deny he wasn’t a great leader.”
While Voss was unsure if he wanted to publish the article, the athletic department was pressuring him to publish this controversial piece. Soon after Voss published the interview with Berger, it came across the desks in the athletic department, whose staff did not agree with Berger’s statements. They came to the conclusion to suspend Berger after his decision of calling Adolf Hitler a “great leader”.
Later, Berger resigned and wrote an apology letter to the University saying, “I failed myself, my parents and this University — the answer I attempted to give does not align instilled in me by my parents, nor represent what I stand for or believe in — I mishandled the answer and fell way short of the mark.”