How Important Are Friendships?

Brenna+Filbey%2C+%2720%2C+and+Tori+Beels%2C+%2720%2C+watch+a+movie+while+enjoying+their+bond.+

How Important Are Friendships?

Brenna Filbey, '20, and Tori Beels, '20, watch a movie while enjoying their bond.

Nayely Espinoza-Perez

Nayely Espinoza-Perez

Nayely Espinoza-Perez

Nayely Espinoza-Perez, Co-Editor-In-Chief

There are many forms of friendships: teacher to student, friend to friend, family member to family member, boss to employee, working associate to working associate– the list could go on. And on top of all the different forms of friendships, one tends to act differently depending on who they are with. I suppose you could say that we contain many personalities.

There are certain types of people in which we choose to show a type of personality. For instance, if you are in an A.P. class, you are very well aware that the students in that class care about education and want a bright future. Now, this is not an insult to those who aren’t taking an A.P. class, but I think it’s safe to say that if you are in an advanced class, you tend to put forward more effort and dedicate much more of your free time than those who don’t: this is a shared interest within a group.

This concept explains why a group of people that take an A.P. class tend to hangout in order to get the desired grade; therefore, we put on our intellectual helmet and embrace talking about concepts that those who aren’t taking that A.P. class wouldn’t care for. Brenna Filbey, ‘20, expresses, “You tend to be friends with those who reflect an aspect of yourself.” By the same token, if you are friends with a sensitive person, you’re less likely to express a sarcastic tone towards things.

The point is, no matter what kind of friendship you have with someone else, that friendship will always teach you something and attribute to your own personal growth: pain, happiness, challenges, etc. Every single friendship you have is unique. There are those whom we have a deep bond with while with others we don’t. These different types of friendships open up a door where we can choose to either take it further to a deeper bond or not. It’s nice to have friends that we can hang out with when we get bored as well as having them around to share the good moments in life. Having many friendships allows us to show every aspect of ourselves to the people that would get where we are coming from: diverse friendships brings limitless experiences.

Friends challenge us, confuse us, and sometimes make us wonder why we even bother; however, they also play a big part when we tend to feel alone, when we need a boost of self-esteem, and they also enable people to build memories, values, and trust.