New Records; Controversy at Boys Swim County Championship

A record setting performance by star swimmer Timofei Ivanov; coupled with theft ; highlights the Boys Swim County Championship.

Dominic Comfort, Features Editor

On Saturday February 8th, L’Anse Creuse-North hosted the Macomb County Swim and Dive Championships. Overall, LCN placed ninth as a team led by a record breaking performance from sophomore Timofei Ivanov. Ivanov swam the 200y individual medley in 2:02.85, setting a new LCN freshman/sophomore record, and coming within tenths of a second to the school’s varsity record. Ivanov set his record while finishing runner-up in the county for the 200 yard individual medley to Dakota’s Alex Duhaime. Ivanov also finished runner-up in the 100y breast stroke. After the meet, LCN coach Mike Owensby posted onto the LCN swim team website congratulating Ivanov. “As far as the meet goes, I would like to congratulate Timofei Ivanov for setting a new Freshman/Sophomore record in the 200 IM.”

Other swimmers who attained their personal bests in the meet were Andrew Lowe ’23 in the 200 free, Anthony Archer ’21 in the 100 fly, Kyle Schmitz ’23  in the 100 back, and Jarrett Geddes ’21 in the 100 breast. LCN placed 5th in the county in the 200 yard medley relay. Senior Nick Agnello swam close to his personal bests in both the 500 yard freestyle and 50 yard  free, finishing 19th in the county with 5:38 in the 500 yards. LCN finished 5th in the 200 yard medley relay. In terms of diving, Darius Love ’21 finished 18th in the prelims. Archer was 12th in the 100 yard Butterfly, with supporting swimmers rounding out a solid performance for the Crusaders.

Controversy befell the meet before the competition even began, with schools reporting that items were stolen from their swim lockers throughout the day. This led to a hectic day where athletes and coaches were trying to determine exactly what happened. Many swim caps were reported stolen by swimmers, as well as Fraser high school reporting that multiple swim tech suits (an important water-resistant swim suit with limited uses that allows swimmers to drop time effectively during championship season) were stolen from them throughout the day. The tech suits stolen range from $200 to $400. Many LCN swimmers reported their swim caps as stolen, as well as money being stolen directly out of their lockers. The thefts even targeted crusader swimming star Ivanov, who reported 3 caps were stolen prior to his record setting performance in the 200 yard IM. Speaking on the issue, varsity swimmer Jarrett Geddes shared “The cap and tech suit thing was awful, but Coach Mike bravely confronted the issue by making a public announcement in front of everyone 10 minutes before the start of the meet. Numerous coaches were complaining about stolen equipment.”

Coach Owensby commented on the issue through the LCN swim website once the meet had concluded. “… I would also like to apologize to all those swimmers that may have [had] items stolen this past weekend, and I would also like to thank everyone that supported the speech I made prior to the beginning of the meet. I just hope the words I spoke touched those individuals involved. It is no different to me then coaching. I am always looking for and trying to get the best in every person.”

With a ninth place finish in the county, the LCN swim team has now wrapped up the bulk of their season. The LCN team has their final dual meet against Henry Ford high school this Tuesday, February 11th. The MAC White championship meet will be on February 28th, followed by an invitational on March third, and finally the state regional on March fifth.