The Attendance Incentive

Conner Simmons, Reporter

Incentives have been a way to encourage people to complete tasks or goals from the beginning of time. They can be anything from money, to a new game console you have wanted for months.

LCN has followed the incentive train and decided to offer a free prom ticket and many other rewards for the small price of perfect attendance. However, the incentive to keep seniors in school second semester is flawed, and the majority of the 2020 class is against the new policy due to the punishments and requirements that go along with it.

At the end of what was a long first semester, the administration brought the senior class together for a class meeting about the new, but controversial incentive program regarding prom.

According to the administration, a senior must have perfect attendance to receive one free prom ticket, and their choice of either a hair salon appointment or a tuxedo rental for the underwhelming value of $75. In addition, a student with one to five absences may still enter a drawing for one of the rewards, and a student with six to ten absences may only enter a drawing for only a prom ticket. Sounds pretty good right? But there are a few down sides that can ruin your experience completely. Any student who exceeds ten absences will not under any circumstances be able to attend prom at all, will not receive credit in their classes, and under the administrations discretion will not be allowed to graduate. So in recap, someone who gets ten absences is perfectly eligible for prom, but someone who gets 11 is punished harshly for reasons they may not be able to control. Under this policy, a senior is allowed to go visit a college for a day, but god forbid you get sick one day, your perfectly legitimate medical absence counts against the incentive.  Rachel Jacobson added to the topic stating, “I don’t really agree with it necessarily, only because there is certain situations where people actually need to miss school and I don’t think they should miss out on opportunities due to certain circumstances.” Understandably, the administration is making a good effort to try and get the students of LCN to participate and show up. Not everyone is against this policy and some people find it beneficial to our attendance to an extent. James Lamparski, a senior at LCN said, “The attendance incentive is a good idea in theory, but I don’t plan on going to prom so there really isn’t much of an incentive for me and other students that don’t want to go to prom.” This is the problem with the “incentive.” There really is not an incentive if several people are not participating in what is being incentivized. With a little more thinking, the attendance incentive can be a good thing for all classes for years to come.