The Child: The Baby Yoda Trend

Brenna Filbey

Olivia Briggs, '22 poses in her Baby Yoda shirt.

Brenna Filbey, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Warning: Article Below Contains “The Mandalorian” SPOILERS

The Disney + original series “The Mandalorian” has swept Star Wars fans off their feet across the nation. With the second season set to come out in October of 2020, the obsession with Disney’s creation, The Child aka Baby Yoda, only grows. But why?

Baby Yoda has been affectionately named so by the legions of Star Wars fans around the world. He swept across all social media platforms, taking the world by storm, and people immediately became obsessed with finding Baby Yoda themed EVERYTHING. According to LCN student Scott Silva, ‘20, “[Baby Yoda is] goated.”

Recently, Disney has released several new “official” Baby Yoda products, one being a collaboration with Build-a-Bear Workshop. The plushie is set to be released on April 3rd, which is about a month after the original release date of March 1, 2020 . But the Baby Yoda fascination doesn’t stop there. Other products include phone cases, AirPod cases, socks, and even bedsheets.

The popularity of Disney’s cute creation has undoubtedly won over both old and new Star Wars fans. And after “Episode 8: The Last Jedi” was the lowest performing Star Wars movie in theaters, coming in making a whole billion dollars less than “The Force Awakens”, Baby Yoda saved the franchise. Many Star Wars fans were less than impressed with “The Last Jedi”, and when Disney+ announced the Star Wars series “The Mandalorian”, fans were skeptical. However, within the first weeks of the trailer (and the knowledge of the existence of Baby Yoda), EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE was talking about it. For several MONTHS it was all over Instagram feeds, new memes were created and hype only grew. But there was one thing that all “original” fans agreed on: Baby Yoda saved the franchise.

Most fans were politely skeptical about the Disney take over of the Star Wars franchise. And again, while “The Force Awakens” was a pretty big hit in the box offices, “The Last Jedi” is considered one of the worst Star Wars movies by some fans. The fans, of course, blame the “Disney-fication” of the franchise. So, when Baby Yoda joined the long list of characters to exist in “a galaxy far, far away” MILLIONS of people became obsessed with the entire franchise. Disney’s marketing division also wisely released the episode of “The Mandalorian ” where The Child force-healing Greef Karga(Carl Weathers), along with a teaser of “Episode 9”. Which then created hype for the scheduled “Episode 9” release that happened on December 20, 2019.

With the second season of “The Mandalorian” set to release in October 2020, the worldwide  Baby Yoda obsession is only predicted to grow as the new season supposedly focuses on the Dark Saber (seen wheedled by Moff Gideon (Giancarlo Esposito) in the final episode of season one), and Baby Yoda’s species.