All You Need To Know About The Macomb County Education Enhancement Millage

Victorianna Beels, Copy Editor

On Tuesday, March 10, voters might see something peculiar on the ballot: the Macomb County Education Enhancement Millage. Before voting on Tuesday, voters should know, what is this millage and why should or shouldn’t they vote for it?

The millage is a ten year, county-wide proposal that aims to generate 55 million dollars for Macomb County schools annually.

The Enhancement Millage will not only benefit L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, but it will also benefit every other school district in Macomb County. This means that the schools within our county that are underfunded or in low-income areas would benefit and have the ability to give their students a better education than they would have otherwise. LCN teacher Mrs. Lisa Macomber stated, “I believe the millage is a good investment in all of Macomb County’s children. A more educated society will benefit all taxpayers because our children will have a wider skill set of employable skills.”

Over the ten year span of the millage, L’Anse Creuse will be bringing in $47,641,774 dollars into the district. This money being brought into our district from the millage will provide the money to improve things throughout the district including various building issues, the ability to keep certain programs available, and even make the difference between keeping a building open or having to lay off teachers. 

Although more money in taxes does not sound ideal, there are a few things to be considered.

First, the tax dollars being produced are determined by per house pricing. In a household that is estimated to be around 200,000 dollars, $190 will be paid per year in taxes to the millage. In a household that is estimated to be around 100,000 dollars, only $90 will be paid per year in taxes to the millage. This makes the additional tax a reasonable amount of money being added onto the taxes paid every year.

Although it seems as though the millage has no flaws, there are also some negative factors to consider when thinking about the future of the millage. All of the money that is going into the millage does not just benefit L’Anse Creuse Public Schools, meaning that a family that lives in Harrison Township is also benefiting Anchor Bay school district when they pay their taxes every year. 

Being that the tax money goes to all school districts in Macomb County, only $4,350,958 of the 55 million dollars annually is going to benefit L’Anse Creuse. Some of the larger school districts appear to benefit much more than others such as Utica Community Schools who will be receiving $11,261,183 annually from the millage compared to Lakeshore Public Schools who will be receiving only $1,450,347 annually. It seems unequal when looking at these numbers and keeping in mind that some districts need the money more than others in order to provide a better education for their students. 

Finally, there are no stipulations stated in the millage proposal as to how the money should be spent. L’Anse Creuse board member Adam Lipski states, “There is 4.1 million dollars. If the board decides that we want to vote to split the money amongst ourselves, we can do that. Of course, we’re not. It doesn’t tell us anything about what we can do with it.” In an irresponsible school district, that money could be used for anything, including personal benefit to the school board or other staff members in a district if they so desire to allot the money in that way. Lipski continues by stating, “I would have loved to have seen a special education stipulation to it… If the teachers union is going to back it, there should be some parameters around what we have to do with it.” Four million dollars is a lot of money and it is quite frightening to know that that money could be taken advantage of when it is meant to benefit the education of the students.

The polls on Tuesday, March 10, hold the potential to determine the future of education in Macomb County schools. If passed, the millage could improve education standards in Macomb County and the success of the students in their futures.

More information about the millage is available at https://www.lc-ps.org/community/macomb-county-enhancement-millage/