Coronavirus Urges Quarantine Time: What to do When You Get Bored

Nayely Espinoza-Perez, Co-Editor-in-Chief

With the inclining streak of Coronavirus cases around the world, society has become more alert and has begun to take measures to keep their health safe. This Coronavirus pandemic has alerted many, and with growing corona cases in Michigan, people are strongly encouraged to stay at home as much as they can. In addition, with many public places closed, it isn’t hard to avoid going places. However, the constant need to keep ourselves entertained is becoming a bit stressful. Here are some suggested ideas to do when you get bored during this unfortunate event: 

Arts & Crafts: Coloring books, scrapbooking, painting, drawing, DIYs, etc.– these are all activities that you can do to keep yourself entertained. With this crisis taking place, stress levels are increasing, so why not color to release some of that stress? Gathering some old family photos and putting them to use by creating a page for your scrapbook can definitely keep you busy for a good amount of time. For some, painting and drawing may not be your forte, but practice makes perfect. These activities should be a no-brainer. Most have already done this, but if you haven’t, I’m glad I enlightened you.

Reading & Writing: Books are a way to keep the mind active and it also helps students stay engaged in learning and bettering their reading skills. Reading can take you into a whole different world and make you feel as if you are experiencing whatever is happening in the book in first person. This is convenient, considering the circumstances society is facing right now. Books, articles, Magna, etc. are available online, at your home, and there are even apps that have books available. By the same token, writing every day enhances your writing skills and is “brain- soothing”. Whether you’re writing about how you feel or writing for fun, it is definitely satisfying to know that you got lost in your own little world for that day. 

Cleansing and Decluttering: I’m sure there is some time one can spare to clean and declutter. That closet of yours, perhaps, has been waiting for you to organize it. Get rid of some clothes and/or shoes you don’t wear/put on anymore. Get those dress drawers, desks, and any surface area clean! Get your laundry going, and perhaps change your bedsheets while you’re at it. Cleaning doesn’t only have to be taking place in your room, I’m sure moms would love and appreciate some help cleaning around the house. Remember the saying: ‘how you have your room is how you have your life’. 

New Music = New Playlist: There are so many different artists and such diverse music out there. As much as we love and enjoy listening to the same old jams, searching for new music can  be tempting. Welcome to the club! The simple fact that you have the opportunity to discover a genre and artist that you were originally not interested in and the initiative to search for new music changed that, is genuinely kind of cool. Like Cady Heron, a fictional character played by Lindsay Lohan in “Mean Girls” says, “the limit does not exist.”     

Games & Engagement: Bored games have always been a classic go-to activity whenever boredom takes place, and they are a great way to get everyone together and have some fun. Jenga, Candy Land, Monopoly, Uno, Card Against Humanity and more, are all games that keep everyone laughing and overall in a good mood. 

Baking & Cooking: Homemade anything is always preferred over store-bought. This is the time to get those baking recipes out and bake some warm cinnamon rolls, cookies, cakes, etc. Food always seems to cheer everyone up. 

TV Shows and Movies: Netflix and Disney Plus offers a great amount of movies and shows to watch. There is always a new show or movie that interests the audience. Netflix has been bringing back nostalgia by adding the following: “He’s Just Not That Into You”, “Valentine’s Day”, “Life as We Know It”, and more. If you have recently finished watching a show, you’ve got to look through Disney Plus or Netflix to figure out your next binge-worthy show. 

Facetiming : Sometimes you’re not only bored, but you also feel lazy to go out places and hang out with people. Facetiming is a click away. Facetime enables people to interact with one another easily, it’s just like having them with you. Facetiming isn’t just a normal call, it’s a chance to talk to others and see the reactions they have to what you have to say, which honestly makes it a bit more fun. 

Pet Time: If you have a pet, spend some time playing with them. Every pet loves being reminded that their caregivers are attentive and show affection towards them. Playing with them can take your mind off things by providing an opportunity to socialize. Sparing some time to play and interact with your pet can also help manage depression, decrease blood pressure, and cholesterol levels. With all these possible health benefits, this activity is almost impossible to skip!

Sleep & Relax: Now, you don’t always have to be doing something all the time. Let’s remember that relaxing and not overworking our body is important. Sleeping is an essential thing. Sleep helps one stay healthy, active, and alert. Because students are still doing school work online, sleep is still playing a major role in everyday life. Getting at least eight to nine hours of sleep a day helps people concentrate better when performing tasks, and it helps build and keep a strong immune system. 

It’s important to remember that even though Michigan and the world are dealing with this unfortunate virus event, it shouldn’t discourage us to not have fun at home.