Should Bang Energy Drinks be Sold at LCN?

Nick Baker

LCN student drinks Bang Energy drink

Nick Baker, Reporter

In 1993, Chief Scientific Officer Jack Owoc and his elite team had started Bang energy drinks to help fuel the body with a bunch of creatine that is contained with artificial flavor offered in a variety of about 20 different flavors.

LCN’s school store has been offering Bang energy drinks, and many students are enjoying this drink and indulging it daily. 

Bang contains about 5-10 grams of creatine just in one drink. Creatine is a supplement that can help anyone, especially athletes, achieve having a burst of strength; it can overall improve exercise performance. These flavorful Bang energy drinks have an estimated amount of 300 mg of caffeine, which many high schoolers can’t be getting enough of. However, this drink has an age limit of 18–the limit is more of a recommendation to only people who are 18 and older to drink.

With Bang being offered, a question comes to mind: Should we sell Bang drinks to underage children? According to The Institute of Medicine, “ these products [Bang drinks] pose a risk of caffeine toxicity when consumed by some young people, and there is evidence of other troubling physiological effects associated with their consumption by youth.” The Institute of Medicine also claims that consuming these energy drinks can affect underage children with many heart problems and headaches. Does someone under the age of 18 really want to have a headache while still trying to learn material during school? The question is up in the air. 

LCN’s school store is selling Bang energy drinks. Black cherry, vanilla, lemon drop, and cotton candy are a few of the flavors that LCN offers. These drinks are priced for $2.50 each. 

Located on the back of the drink itself, is the suggested age to consume this energy drink:18. However, LCN appears to be selling it to underage students, failing to ask for an ID, for age consent. 

When Brandon Ortiz ‘20, a student from LCN, was asked about the idea of Bang energy drinks being sold to underage people, he expressed, “if the label says 18 then it should be sold for ages 18 and up. Like, if alcohol is only for ages 21 and up, then it should be sold at that age.” 

In summary, Bang energy drinks should be sold for ages 16 and up, but could also potentially harm anyone who drinks more than one a day.