The Dual enrollment program

Michael Yuschak , Staff writer

The Dual Enrollment program offered in our district is a great way for students to get a head start on college. The program is in conjunction with Macomb Community College, as a way for students to earn numerous college credit hours during high school. There are many classes that are offered, from English pre-requisites to philosophy courses, with some amazing professors. 

It has also been a huge stepping stone in other people’s lives including my own. I had spoken to a former high school north student who had just finished her second year with the dual enrollment program at Macomb Community college. Elle Miller was able to answer some questions about the program and her personal opinions on it. 

“The biggest challenge I have faced while taking courses was scheduling college classes around highschool class times, ” she states. It is true the scheduling for all the college classes around the early college classes have been a bit of a challenge. 

“Personally, I find this program to be very beneficial. You get an early insight to how college courses are before entering colleges and/or universities.  As long as you pass, you graduate a year after high school with a free associates degree,” she described. In my experience in Dual Enrollment, I’ve found it to be a great way to get a feel for what college is like. That way you’re not going into your freshman year blind and completely overwhelmed with work. 

“To those considering the ECM program, I highly encourage it. The counselor helps you follow the correct pathway to where you’d like to transfer for college/university, as well as help you explore different careers and courses,” she explained. Find other students in Dual Enrollment and ask them what they think of their experiences too. Talk to your counselor to see if it is the right option for you. You may be surprised at what the program has to offer.   

All in all, we both agreed that it is a great opportunity to get a head start and to get the experience of college before going to a university. If you are thinking about taking dual enrollment classes I highly recommend it.