Inside Look on North Star Reporter’s Life

Samantha Marwin, Opinions Editor

Battling school with work, sports, or AP classes is always a struggle as a high school student. Emma Bowman, a student at L’Anse Creuse High School North, is not just only a reporter for the school newspaper, she also takes AP classes, joined Link Crew, and is a vigorous cheer coach for younger kids. Bowman also is a skilled and talented photographer in her spare time. Combining that and exemplary grades must be a trying challenge. 

Whilst interviewing her about her life, a question asked was, “What are some struggles juggling all those extracurriculars with your everyday life?” “Grades. When I go to cheer, I’m there for like 2 and a half hours. When I go off to coach for the younger kids, I go straight over to their practice from mine for another hour and a half. By the time I get home, it’s always very late, making it hard to do my work and not just fall asleep.” Keeping up with school without after school activities is hard for most students. Adding that with nonstop sports practice is a rare feat.

Inquiring specifically about the paper, how were you able to work so diligently to report for the newspaper after school hours?” “Usually when I write a piece for the paper, I choose a topic that I am interested in, so I’ll enjoy writing the piece. It makes it easier, and a lot less stressful.” Bowman always publishes well written pieces, and photographs most all pictures in her articles. She’s a huge asset to our newspaper team. 

As a photographer, Bowman comments, “I’ve always loved taking pictures of things, but for my 14th birthday my mom got me a camera, and I’ve loved it ever since. I’m always looking for new opportunities to take more pictures.” She’s photographed most all of her photos for her articles posted on The North Star website, as well as all her family vacation spots. She’s always showing me new photos she has taken and they always turn out amazing.

Since the school year is coming to an end, my final question was, “As an accomplished student yourself, what is some advice you would give to incoming freshmen?” Bowman replied with, “Don’t worry too much about school. It will be over before you know it, so don’t stress yourself out. Enjoy the time you have here.”