Scott Pilgrim Fights His Way to the Front of Netflix

Braylon Champion, Staff Writer

“Scott Pilgrim vs. The World” is a relatively unknown 2010 movie. It was a box office bomb, raking in only $49.3 million at original release, barely half of its budget. The movie follows Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera), a 22 year old member of garage band “Sex Bob-omb”, and his life after beginning to date Knives Chau (Ellen Wong), a 17 year old high school student. On one of his dates with Knives, he sees Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and immediately falls for her, not knowing the trouble that comes along with her; seven evil exes.

Based after the hit comic book series of the same name, Scott has to balance his relationships with Knives and Ramona without either of them knowing in addition to needing to defeat Ramona’s seven exes who are coming to kill him. It’s clear that he’s not the good guy, yet you can’t help but root for him. Cera is so good at playing a character deep in the grey area.

The movie’s style is unlike anything seen, with music from popular 90’s games accenting important events and information cards showing up with each new character. Emphasized words explode across the screen, and the volume of bands are shown with bright, sharp shockwaves. The humor in this movie is also very different from other comedies, with great deliveries and comedic timing from Scott’s roommate Wallace Wells (Kieran Culkin), creating easily the most liked character in the film. All of these details work together to catch the movie an 81% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

This movie has a surprising amount of talented actors despite its box office failure, including Anna Kendrick, Brie Larson, Chris Evans, and Brandon James Routh. A likely cause for the movie’s box office failure is that despite these amazing actors, it was released before they really hit their stride. The first Captain America movie wouldn’t release for another year, Pitch Perfect until the year after that, and Captain Marvel for another seven years. That leaves only Brandon James Routh, who played as Superman in the 2006 movie, “Superman Returns.”

Fortunately, the creator’s decision to allow ‘Scott Pilgrim vs. The World’ to stream for all on Netflix recently has caused a sort of cultural resurgence of the cult classic, with its music and clips appearing occasionally on the popular social media app ‘Tiktok’. While not reaching the top ten list or anything, I personally couldn’t be more happy with this turn of events, and hope that anyone able watches the adventures of Scott Pilgrim.