E-hallpass: Making Things Easier or Harder?

Lexi Fields

Student version of E-hallpass program.

Lexi Fields, Social Media Manager

From the use of your Chromebook or the touch of your phone, a new way of making passes has come to LCN: E-hallpass. While E-hallpasses are supposed to be the new, convenient way to make a hallway pass, they have the opposite effect. 

Students have been having nothing but problems ever since the new digital passes were brought to LCN. Senior Olivia Bacchian states, “Sometimes my phone doesn’t load or my laptop is dead.” With the constant stress of getting homework done, the least of students’ worries is to charge their Chromebook the night before so it’s ready to use in class the following day.  

Students are constantly running into these issues. Senior Riley Fisette says, “There’s just no point to it. If there’s an issue with a student just don’t let them leave the class.” Another recurring problem I’ve had was last semester, during 5th hour, the internet would never work on my Chromebook, and now during my current 5th hour, on the opposite side of the school, I ran into a similar issue. My teacher’s policy is to leave your phone on her desk when in the hallway, but it becomes a problem when phones completely deny some students access to the website in the first place. Not only do students despise E-hallpass and constantly have problems with the program, but teachers are struggling as well.

Mrs. Mell, An Art teacher at L’Anse Creuse North High School, claims, “I find it a ridiculously time-consuming and unnecessary procedure!” Teachers are beyond overwhelmed with this new program because it becomes a daily hassle. Mr. Battaglia explains that he is not fond of the new E-hallpass program because, “It’s a constant interruption throughout class because I have to approve and end each E-hallpass whether it’s on their device or my desktop computer.” Teachers could  be mid-instruction and have to stop teaching or helping other students with their classwork to run to their desk to end a pass. Although some people may say paper passes are just as much of an inconvenience, they take much less time to fill out and don’t involve a check-in. Reusable passes eliminate the need for a teacher to do anything besides a quick nod and the pass can be disinfected by students after each use.  Teachers, more often than not, forget to end the pass and it creates the problem of the bathrooms appearing as “full” to other students who need to use the bathroom. When this situation comes to play, students will create a pass to their locker or anywhere else just so they can go to the bathroom. The most devastating thing is after all the trouble of the bathrooms being “full”, you walk into a bathroom and every stall is empty. 

Associate Principal Mr. Ellul says, “It helps us when we’re trying to identify any damage done in bathrooms. The goal is trying to keep students in classrooms because we want them to be in class as long as possible to learn.” However, rather than helping, E-hallpasses create a long time away from learning time in the classroom because students have to go through all the complications of getting their phone, which goes against red zone rules, then signing into Office 365 and waiting for an open bathroom instead of simply taking a physical pass and leaving. If issues frequently occur, teachers can stop letting certain students exit the classroom and, if needed, sign-out sheets could be used.  Several hall monitors roam the hall during passing time and there are multiple cameras across the school that monitor the who, what, when, and where in the hallways.

Within the short time of having them, E-hallpasses have been proven to be a waste of time and school funding. Reusable passes are a much more convenient, as well as cost and time-efficient solution to the problem. Students and teachers would be a lot less stressed if they could go back to having physical passes.