• October 22Sending our prayers and condolences to the Filbeys

The Death of Mac Miller

Gina Hofbauer, Features Editor

On the days leading up to August 3rd, 2018, students at L’Anse Creuse High School- North were anticipating the release of rapper, Mac Miller’s new album. Miller’s fifth studio album, “Swimming”, was long awaited after his very public break up with pop star, Arianna Grande. After ending their relationship of two years, Grande released to the public that Miller had been struggling with addiction for a long time.

After the album’s release, a collection of tweets were out about how much students enjoyed the album. It was hard to go on social media without seeing a post related to Millers latest album. The most popular song on his new album, according to a poll by students of LCN, is “Self-Care.”

It was no surprise that his album flourished, seeing he has a fan base of millions, what was surprising is that only a month and four days later, Miller was found dead.

On September 7th, 2018, Miller was found dead, due to an apparent overdose in his California home. While paramedics tried to revive him, all attempts failed and Miller was officially pronounced dead. Within an hour of the press release by TMZ, social media was flooded by other rappers and fans heartbroken over Millers passing. While Millers album remains in the top 5 along with songs on the iTunes top 100. Miller’s last tweet, posted the night before his death, said, “Go get tickets for the tour […] the show is going to be special every night. I wish it started tomorrow. It starts October 27th”. That is a date Miller will never live to see. Rappers like J. Cole, Chance the Rapper, and Wiz Khalifa, shared stories of the late Miller. Heartbroken, J.Cole shed tears while speaking about miller while he was on tour. Chance the Rapper credited Miller for boosting his fame. Rapper Lil Xan even decided to quit his skyrocketing career after Millers death, claiming Miller was the reason he wanted to pursue music in the first place.

In one of Millers last radio interviews; He said the album is more of a complete picture of his life. “I’m just talking about things that I’m proud of myself for, things I’m afraid of or things that are just thoughts and emotions.”

Although the world was aware of his struggle with addiction, no one expected to lose Miller. His talents continue to amaze and spread through his followers, new and old. Although Miller himself is gone, his music will never be.

About the Writer
Gina Hofbauer, Features Editor and Photographer

Grade: 12

Position on staff: Features Editor, Photographer.

Fun fact about me: I have been publishing in the North Star since freshman year although,...