• March 18Congratulations to LCN Combined Choirs and LCN Select Ensemble, who earned Division 1 ratings at festival and qualified for States!

Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Google Images

Morgan Sputa, Editor-in-Chief

Trick or treating is a past time in America when all of the children are running around in their homemade costume of their favorite celebrity or character and going door to door all night with a sugar high. Trick or treating has been around since the early 1900s and every year you hear adults saying “well aren’t you too old to be trick or treating?” or your classmates say “I’m way too old to go around in a costume asking my neighbors for candy.”

Personally, I am a child at heart an have always loved trick or treating. But, once we get older, we trade in our pillowcases and jack-o-lanterns filled to the brim with sugary sweets for a night in watching scary movies or hanging out with our friends. I absolutely loved trick or treating when I was younger and I continue to get excited for Halloween as it approaches every year.

There are so many reasons why you should never not be excited for Halloween and be excited to hand out candy to the children in your neighborhood, or take your child and/or a niece/nephew or even a younger sibling. Trick or treating is always a joyous time that everyone should be able to participate in.

Recently, as of this coming Halloween in Chesapeake, Virginia, the city has set limits on Halloween trick-or-treating, to only from 6 to 8 p.m., for children 12 and younger. Chesapeake’s ordinance code says anyone over the age of 12 who gets caught trick-or-treating, or anyone who gets caught after the set curfew, could be charged with a misdemeanor and be fined anywhere from $25 to $100 or up to six months in jail. I think this is just outrageous. To tell children they have to be in by 8pm on one of the most exciting nights of the year is ridiculous.

I see a wide range of ages walking up and down the block in their costumes trick or treating every year, yet even as you age, you’re never too old to go out one night a year and have a fun time with your friends.

About the Writer
Morgan Sputa, Editor-in-Chief

Name: Morgan Sputa

Grade: 12th

Position on staff: Editor-in-Chief

Fun fact about me: I want to attend college and major in pre-med and become...

1 Comment

One Response to “Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?”

1. Trevor Azzopardi on December 7th, 2018 12:44 pm

OK, I’m just gonna say this right now,Chesapeake are a bunch of jerks to limit people from being a child at heart. It’s not just free candy; people are able to be creative with their costumes. In 8th grade I was a truck, my grandfather helped me make it and we had a lot of fun doing it, and you’re going to take that away from people?!?!?!?!?!

If any law should be made it should be that people have to dress up in order to go trick or treating.

• Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Opinions

Student Section Bias

• Opinions

The Golden Corridor of Sterling Heights

• Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Opinions

Are You Affected by Weighted GPA?

• Opinions

Apps in Class

• Opinions

MST or Honors- Is MST Worth it?

• Opinions

Competition: Is it Good or Bad?

• Opinions

The Fundamental Meaning of Being Called a Mom Friend

• Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Opinions

Come On, It’s Lovely Weather For a Holly Jolly Silent Night

• Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Opinions

The Christmas Controversy

• Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?

Opinions

Social Media is Low-key Why You Suck at Life

Trick or Treating: When Do You Stop?